1. Taiwan Semiconductor Manufacturing Co Ltd has started construction in Phoenix where it plans to spend $12B to build a computer chip factory. The planned factory remains on track to start volume production of chips using the company’s 5-nanometer production technology starting in 2024. The design firm has not been disclosed and Austin Commercial Group is the general contractor.
2. Ryan Companies US, Inc., Harrison Street and Cadence Living announced the financial closing of Acoya Shea, a 147-unit luxury senior living community in Scottsdale and also announced that construction will begin this month. Ryan Architecture + Engineering is the design firm, and the project is anticipated to be completed in Q1 2023.
3. The TSG Foundation project is underway in Cave Creek and last week 180 Degrees Design + Build placed more than 300 cubic feet of concrete flatwork. The design features a large, rammed earth wall at the entrance of the building and is following the Living Building Challenge program. The facility is designed by Orcutt | Winslow.
4. MedCraft Healthcare Real Estate broke ground in May on the Ambulatory Surgery Center of the TMC Rincon Campus Expansion project, in partnership with contractors Kraus-Anderson and Caldwell Construction, and architect Orcutt Winslow. Construction of the ASC is expected to be complete in the spring of 2022. It is part of an expansion plan for TMC that includes a new 60-bed hospital slated to open on the campus in 2023.
5. The Downtown Links project, which began in August 2020, is set for completion in early 2023. Crews are currently on Phase III of the project which includes reconstruction of the Tucson Arroyo culvert between Sixth and 10th avenues; construction of a new Sixth Street alignment, railroad underpass, and Ninth Avenue Deck Plaza; and construction of the new four-lane roadway, Sixth Avenue Bridge, and a shared-use pathway from Sixth Street to Broadway. HDR, Inc. is the design firm and Downtown Links Constructors is the general contractor.
6. Adolfson & Peterson Construction has completed construction on the single-story, 35KSF Abrazo Cave Creek Hospital at 5227 E. Carefree Highway. Expected to open in mid-2021, the neighborhood hospital will provide area residents with emergency care and low-acuity surgical services. Tenet Healthcare is the owner and E4H Environments for Healthcare Architecture was the design firm.
7. CP Technologies opened up its new headquarters in Prescott on Wednesday after breaking ground last June. The new 50KSF facility at 2620 Deep Well Ranch Road will house both the company’s North American HQ and its manufacturing facility. Sun State Builders was the design-build firm for that project.