1. Sundt Construction, Inc. recently returned to the University of Arizona campus to renovate the Old Chemistry Building it originally built in 1936. The renovation will consist of 55KSF. Additionally, the team will add a new three-story, 23KSF building consisting of offices, classrooms and a relocated machine shop and nuclear magnetic resonance space. Construction is scheduled for completion towards the end of 2022. Shepley Bulfinch is the architect on record and Poster Frost Mirto will consult on historic preservation.
2. McShane Construction Company has begun construction on Springs at Eastmark, a 276-unit, garden-style multifamily community in Mesa. The development will also offer 2.5KSF of amenity space with a clubhouse, outdoor swimming pool, fire pit area, two barbeque areas, a dog washing station, car wash and basketball court. Construction is scheduled to be completed in October 2022. The architect of record is Huitt-Zollars and Continental Properties is the owner.
3. LGE Design Build announced they recently began construction on Fetzer Surgical at 9217 Easter Verde Grove View, Scottsdale. Upon completion, the 16.3KSF building will be used for the manufacturing and production of vital surgical equipment to be distributed worldwide. The project is expected to be completed in early 2022. In addition to serving as the general contractor, LGE’s Design Group also served as the architect of the project.
4. St. Bernard of Clairvaux Catholic Church in Scottsdale had a groundbreaking ceremony for a new rectory building on June 13th. The “Centered in Christ” initiative will fund constructing the new rectory as well as build the parish endowment to offset future maintenance expenses.
5. CAI Investments announced that the 18-story, 290-room The Westin Tempe hotel is nearing completion, and plans to open in August. Along with approximately 21KSF of exceptional indoor and outdoor event space, the hotel will also encompass three dining concepts. RSP Architects, Ltd is the design firm and Kitchell Corporation is the general contractor.
6. Sprouts Farmers Market has announced an opening date for its long-awaited 23KSF store in Sonoran Creek Marketplace. The grocer announced that construction will finish soon, and a grand opening celebration is set for August 25th.
7. High Street Residential and its partner, Principal Real Estate Investors, have completed the construction of Gramercy Scottsdale, a luxury five-story, 160-unit multifamily development in Downtown Scottsdale. Resident move-ins began in May and the building is now 15 percent leased. The general contractor for the project was Wespac Construction and the architect of record is ESG Architects.
8. Development partners Liv Communities and Rockefeller Group recently celebrated a ribbon-cutting event for Liv Crossroads, a 356-unit, 19 building multifamily development at 445 E. Germann Road in Gilbert. Occupancy of the first buildings took place in April. Final completion of the community is expected in February 2022. Whitneybell Perry is the architect of record and Clark Wayland is the general contractor.
9. Prescott Regional Airport in cooperation with the Prescott Chamber of Commerce, Willmeng Construction, Fann Contracting, Dibble Engineering, and DWL Architects will host a dedication ceremony for the new passenger terminal on Friday, June 18th. Media and invited guests will have the opportunity to tour the new terminal at 9 a.m., followed by the dedication ceremony at 10 a.m.
10. The installation of improved lighting in the Interstate 10 Deck Park Tunnel north of downtown Phoenix has been completed. Arizona Department of Transportation crews have worked in stages this year to replace old fixtures in the tunnel with modern, energy efficient LED lights. The entire $1.4M project, which started in January, means that more than 1,500 new LED lights were installed along with the replacement of old lighting fixtures dating back to when the tunnel opened to traffic in 1990.
11. Microsoft announced the world-class sustainable datacenter located in El Mirage is fully operational and will create an estimated 100 permanent jobs, including mechanical engineers, electrical engineers, and IT technicians. The new facility will be a part of the “West US 3” region, along with a Goodyear facility. Jacobs Engineering Group was the design firm and SKANSKA was the general contractor.
12. The long wait is nearly over as the renovated Eloy Police Department building is almost complete and the ribbon cutting ceremony will be held today, June 18th. The public safety facility is made up of 15KSF and includes everything that is needed in order to operate a modern police department.