By Tasha Anderson for AZBEX
Phoenix Union High School District is looking to revamp several of their auditorium and athletic facilities across four school regions in Phoenix.
In order to accomplish this, PUSD has recently issued four Requests for Qualifications, one for each region, to obtain Construction Manager at Risk Services for the modernization projects.
According to the RFQs, the auditorium renovations will include the replacement of stage flooring, stage and house lighting along with lighting controls and A/V, and seating and flooring, as well as renovations to the lobby and restrooms and addressing ADA deficiencies.
The outdoor athletic fields and facility modernizations will include, “Installation of stadium artificial turf field… Installation of new stadium seating, scoreboards, goal posts and press boxes as needed. If budget allows minor renovations to concession stands and stadium storage facilities. Reconditioning of softball and baseball fields, dugouts, fencing and bleachers as needed. If applicable will include demolition of handball courts and/or basketball courts to accommodate the redesign of competition and/or practice fields.”
Schools in Region 1 to be renovated are:
- Central High School – 4525 N. Central Avenue, Phoenix
- Camelback High School – 4612 N. 28th Street, Phoenix
- North High School – 1101 E. Thomas Road, Phoenix
Region 2 schools include:
- Carl Hayden High School – 3333 W. Roosevelt Street, Phoenix
- Maryvale High School – 3415 N. 59th Avenue, Phoenix
- Trevor Browne High School – 7402 W. Catalina Drive, Phoenix
Region 3 schools include:
- Cesar Chavez High School – 3921 W. Baseline Road, Laveen
- The Academies at South Mountain – 5401 S. 7th Street, Phoenix
- Betty Fairfax High School – 8225 S. 59th Avenue, Laveen
And Region 4 schools include:
- Alhambra High School – 3839 W. Camelback Road, Phoenix
- Metro Tech High School – 1900 W. Thomas Road, Phoenix
A non-mandatory pre-submittal conference for all four RFQs will be held on October 1st at 8:00 a.m. at 4502 N. Central Avenue, 1st Floor Board Room. All RFQs will be due by October 22nd at 2:00 p.m.
The estimated budget for Region 1 and Region 2 modernizations is $19M-$20M. Region 3 modernizations are expected to cost approximately $16M-$17M while Region 4 is only expected to cost $7M-$8M.
According to the RFQ for Region 1, construction is anticipated to being in April 2020 with completion in September 2021. Regions 2 and 3 are anticipated to begin in May 2020 with completion in October 2021, and Region 4 is anticipated to begin in May 2020 with completion in April 2021. The project at each campus will be done in phases to allow staggering so as not to affect school events.
While PUSD is asking for Construction Manager at Risk services, the RFQs state that architects have also not yet been selected for the projects.