1. The Sundt Foundation donated $26K to two Southern Arizona nonprofits and $100K to aid five Valley nonprofits to address the increased need due to the COVID-19 pandemic. Community Food Bank of Southern Arizona and Interfaith Community Services both received $13K in aid relief. Matthew’s Crossing, Aster Empowered, Midwest Food Bank, Chrysalis and Community Alliance Against Family Abuse each received $20K in relief aid.
Awards & Accolades
2. Terracon, an engineering consulting firm, is pleased to announce that Eric Lyding has achieved the certification of Professional Engineer. Lyding, PE, is a project manager for Terracon’s Environmental Department. He is responsible for projects throughout the Western U.S., mainly in Arizona.
3. The University of Arizona Center for Innovation (UACI) was selected by the U.S. Department of Energy’s National Renewable Energy Laboratory (NREL) to collaborate in the American-Made Solar Prize as a Super Connector to support its goal to boost US solar manufacturing through innovation. UACI is the University of Arizona incubator network and is a part of Tech Parks Arizona.
4. The WTS Metropolitan Phoenix Chapter Board has announced their scholarship recipients. They are:
- Sharon D. Banks Memorial Undergraduate Scholarship: Kristen Stevens
- Helene M. Overly/Esther Kmetty Scholarship: Denise Capasso da Silva
- Molitoris Leadership Fund for Undergraduates: Katherine Riffle
- Returning Student Scholarship: Vanessa Spartan
- Friends of Transit Scholarship: Vanessa Spartan
- Support Sky Harbor Coalition Scholarship: Christina Baum
5. The ENR regional editors have selected Martin-Harris Construction as the 2020 Contractor of the Year in the Southwest region. Martin-Harris operates throughout the southwestern U.S. (Nevada, Arizona, California, New Mexico and Texas) in a wide variety of market sectors.
6. Gensler announced the move to its new office at 2575 E. Camelback Road. The move to The Esplanade comes as an opportunity to engage Gensler’s growing client community and industry throughout the valley. The move was official, June 1st.
7. With three decades of robust energy industry experience, Robert Healy will lead and develop business, technology and security consulting solutions as Director for 1898 & Co., part of Burns & McDonnell.
8. MEB Management Services announced that multifamily industry expert Matt Rogers has joined the firm’s main office as Vice President of Operations. Rogers will support strategic initiatives for sales and client acquisitions and work closely with principals and other industry professionals to manage a portfolio of assets throughout Arizona.
9. Institutional Property Advisors, a division of Marcus & Millichap, announced that veteran commercial real estate brokerage team Peter Bauman and Tivon Moffitt joined IPA as senior vice presidents in Phoenix. Formerly with JLL, Bauman and Moffitt are accomplished industry veterans with extensive institutional and private client relationships built by helping investors execute acquisitions, dispositions, sale-leasebacks, and recapitalization of industrial and office properties.
10. CBRE announced that Dominigos Santos has joined Valuation & Advisory Services (VAS) as a director with the Property & Transaction Tax Services platform. Based in CBRE’s Phoenix office, Santos will advise real estate private equity firms and development companies on underwriting best practices, identifying and securing tax incentives, and minimizing annual sales, use, excise, and property tax obligations.
11. William Lyon, the eponymous owner of William Lyon Homes — that was recently acquired by Scottsdale’s Taylor Morrison Home Corp. — recently passed away at age 97. The Los Angeles times called Lyon — a former Air Force pilot and general who served during World War II and the Korean War — a pioneer in Southern California’s postwar housing boom.