Awards & Accolades
1. National Association of Women in Construction bestowed its Civil/Heavy Highway award on the $54M C.C. Cragin Pipeline project to recognize the women who participated through Sunrise Engineering. A second award through the Arizona Water Works Association, gave the pipeline honors in its category of Treatment Plant of the Year, Large System award.
2. LGE Design Build announced the groundbreaking of its new headquarters for Loftin Equipment at 52nd Street and McDowell, Phoenix. The facility will be a combination of office and warehouse space for a total of 20.5KSF.
3. GTIS Partners LP announced the groundbreaking of a 197-unit, single-family build-to-rent community at Cadence, a master-planned development in Mesa, owned by GTIS and Harvard Investments.
4. The Empire Group’s Village at Pioneer Park, a 332-unit, for-lease single-family development in south Peoria broke ground on December 2nd and is expected to be completed during Q2 2022.
5. Best Western Hotels and Resorts has started construction on a new $20M, 102-room upscale hotel at 511 S. Farmer Avenue, Tempe. The project will be part of Best Western’s new Vib brand of hotels. GCON Inc. is the general contractor and the hotel is expected to open in September 2021.
6. Construction began December 7th on the $7.1M, 16KSF Fire Station 308 at the SEC of Litchfield and Cactus roads and is expected to be complete in late 2021. The voter-approved project is being funded by the 2017 Decide Surprise General Obligation Bond.
7. Diversified Partners announced that construction of the large, prime parcel known as En Fuego, at 91st and Glendale Avenues, is well underway. For Phase I, pads, shops and land are available at En Fuego, ranging from 3KSF-15.6KSF. Starbucks, Raising Cane’s, Barro’s Pizza, Burros & Fries, Twisted Sugar, Jack in the Box, Then Burger and Honey Go Nails are already committed. Phase II will offer 8.32 acres for office, flex or entertainment use. The project broke ground in March 2020.
8. Design is complete and construction is progressing on the Jackie A. Meck Water Campus project – formerly known as the Broadway Road Water Campus. Having surpassed 50 percent completion in May 2020, the campus will include new wells, transmission and distribution lines, storage tanks, treatment facilities, and booster pumps to service the local area. Remaining construction is expected to be complete in 2022. The City of Buckeye recently announced the renaming of the water campus at a private ceremony last week in honor of the City’s mayor and lifelong resident who is retiring. As the lead designer on the Kiewit-Haydon Joint Venture, Stantec helped concurrently plan the water supply and treatment systems for the BRWC project and design emergency replacement project elements.
9. Construction continues on the $10M La Quinta Inn, a four-story, 89-room hotel on Martin Luther King Jr. Boulevard adjacent to Copper Sky. The project, owned by Andy Bhakta, is expected to open in early 2021.
10. Work has been underway since October to renovate portions of Prescott City Hall and its annex buildings to accommodate the fledgling Center for the Future business-incubation project. Currently, work is underway in the basement level of City Hall in the area that once accommodated the city’s Information Technology (IT) Department.
11. New Horizons Women’s Care is a new 7.8KSF medical center in Gilbert, designed and built by LGE Design Build. Careful planning and design of this new medical office yielded 12 exam rooms, 1 mammography room, 2 ultrasound areas and multiple offices and nurse stations.
12. Southern Sunset Plaza, located at the SWC of Country Club Drive and Southern Avenue, Mesa, has completed a major renovation this year and also leased space to Banner Health for a multi-faceted medical clinic. The renovations have been implemented over the past 18 months and include a complete revision to the façade and elevation of the shopping center, which entailed approximately 200KSF. In addition, the parking lot was updated, and a new Starbucks was opened. The medical clinic is under construction. Colliers International in Arizona represented Southern Sunset Plaza in the lease.
13. Landsea Homes announced that homes are now for sale at the new Marketside Tercera at Verrado in Buckeye. Marketside Tercera consists of 123 single-family homes and offers exclusive amenities in addition to access to 21 miles of hiking and biking trails.
14. Officials with Customs and Border Protection and the Tucson Airport Authority recently unveiled the new customs facility at the iconic air traffic control tower at Tucson International Airport, 7081 S. Plumer Avenue. The renovation of the tower came in at about $1.8M.