Awards & Accolades
1. Lincoln Property Company (LPC) has won a “The Outstanding Building of the Year” (TOBY) award for its management of The Grand – the first of eight Class A office buildings that LPC is developing at the 60-acre Grand at Papago Park Center mixed-use development in Tempe. The Grand now advances to BOMA’s regional competition, where it will compete against projects across the West and potentially advance to the international BOMA awards.
2. Achen-Gardner Construction won a Build Arizona Award from the Arizona Chapter Associated General Contractors of America for their Salt River Siphon Repair Design-Build project for Central Arizona Project (CAP). Members of the project team accepted the award at the Annual Dinner and Build Arizona Awards Banquet on Friday, January 24th.
3. Achen-Gardner Construction’s Twin Peaks-Blue Bonnet Road Gravity Sewer Design-Build project has won a Common Ground Award from the Metropolitan Pima Alliance (MPA). MPA’s Common Ground Awards recognize community leaders, projects, and events with successful collaboration for the overall benefit of the community.
4. Willmeng Construction Inc. recently broke ground on a multi-phase project totaling 605KSF of Class-A industrial space on 45-acres, of which is to be completed in June of 2020. The project, developed by Scottsdale-based Marwest Enterprises and designed by Ware Malcomb, is located in the heart of the Mesa Gateway area.
5. HonorHealth and Universal Health Services, Inc. officially broke ground on a new +/-73KSF, 120-bed behavioral health facility to be named Via Linda Behavioral Hospital. UHS will be the majority owner and will oversee the day-to-day operations and management of the new hospital at 9160 E. Horseshoe Road, Scottsdale. The new state-of-the-art facility is expected to open in the third quarter of 2021. Stengel Hill Architecture is the architect and DPR Construction is the general contractor.
6. Continental Properties has started construction on Springs at Deer Valley, a 296-unit apartment complex at 24025 N. 23rd Avenue, Phoenix. Completion of Springs at Deer Valley is slated for June 2021. The architect of record is Phillips Partnership and the general contractor is McShane Construction.
7. Banner Health and NexCore Group broke ground this week on the new $53M, 128KSF health center at 7701 W. Aspera Boulevard. SmithGroup is the architect and Haydon Building Corp is the general contractor. The center is expected to be completed spring 2021.
8. Northrop Grumman Corp. broke ground January 30th on a new two-story, 120.4KSF office and production facility as an expansion to its Gilbert satellite manufacturing campus at the SWC of McQueen and Elliot roads.
9. What once stood as a chain grocery store and a subsequent consignment furniture store is being transformed by Sigma Contracting, Inc., into Arizona’s first H Mart, an Asian-American supermarket with 65 stores in 14 states. The opening of the $5.189M, 63KSF supermarket at 1919 W. Main Street, Mesa, is still about a month away; however, work continues at a feverish pace for the specialty retailer. The development team includes PORBel Architects and key subcontractors Universal Piping, Advanced Demolition, Tri-Mega HVAC, State Electric and Melvin Concrete.
10. McCarthy Building Companies is building the Chandler Unified School District’s 32nd elementary school, Robert Rice Elementary School, in southwest Gilbert near the Chandler border. The $23M, 93KSF K-6 school will have room for 800 students. HDA Architects Inc. is the architect on the project and major subcontractors include Sun Valley Masonry, Procon Concrete, R&N Electric, Irontree and Midstate Mechanical. The school will be completed in June 2020 in time for the new school year to start in July.
11. Construction on the $350K Central Arizona College Baseball Stadium is progressing slower than anticipated due to labor and material availability. Construction on the stadium is now estimated to be finished by April.
12. On February 3rd, the final stage of the $590M Terminal 3 Modernization at Phoenix Sky Harbor International Airport will be complete when the newly renovated north concourse opens. The north concourse features 10 airline gates and all new shops, restaurants and customer amenities such as an animal relief area, a nursing room, a family restroom, hearing loop connectivity in the gate areas, and access to power from every seat. With the completion of the Terminal 3 Modernization Program, Terminal 2 will close for renovation.
13. Developer Mark IV Capital has delivered its fourth Class A office building at Chandler Freeway Crossing. Dubbed 2625 at Chandler Freeway Crossing, the new 156.8KSF, three-story building features Class A, country-club-style amenities and direct freeway frontage at the Loop 101/202 interchange. JLL Managing Directors Dave Seeger and Mark Gustin are the exclusive leasing brokers for the business park.
14. After nearly two and a half years of ongoing construction, the 12-mile trail system along the Grand Canal is nearly complete. The Grand Canalscape celebration will be held on Saturday, February 15th, from 10am-12pm along the canal.
15. Buena Vista Health and Recovery Centers at Tucson, a 50KSF Arizona-based drug and alcohol detox and treatment campus at 5151 E. Pima Street, Tucson, has opened and will begin accepting outpatient patients in early February 2020.
16. The $1.058M Coconino Community College construction lab improvements are officially complete. Students began using the space Thursday, just over a week after the start of CCC’s spring semester.
17. Sanctuary on Camelback Mountain Resort & Spa recently unveiled the results of a series of renovations and refreshments of its private villa collection, called The Villas at Sanctuary.
Awards & Accolades