1. FatCats Entertainment started construction on a new 64.1KSF family entertainment center at 5740 E. Longbow Marketplace, Mesa. The $11.5M project will include eight theaters, 20 bowling lanes, arcade, nine-hole glow in the dark mini golf, party room, virtual reality area, bar and restaurant. TK International is the architect and A.R. Mays is the general contractor. Construction is expected to be complete in November.
2. Park 10 Development started construction on Park 10 Shops B at 10321 W. McDowell Rd, Avondale. The project includes construction of an 8.1KSF shell for a Portillo’s restaurant and four acres of site work. Butler Design Group is the architect and A.R. Mays Construction is the general contractor. Construction is expected to be complete in July.
3. Estrella by Newland Communities has broken ground on its newest village, a 617-acre master-planned development named Lucero. The project is slated to open in spring 2019. Swaback Partners is the architect on the project.
4. The Arizona Department of Transportation began construction this month on the $10M I-10 improvement project west of I-17, including the addition of a new westbound lane to improve traffic flow between 35th and 43rd avenues. The project includes improvements to signals and ramps at cross street-level pedestrian crosswalks along the I-10 corridor. Work is scheduled for completion by fall 2019.
5. A topping off event was held on Jan. 22 for the Block 23 development at First and Jefferson streets in downtown Phoenix. When the project opens later this year, it will mark the culmination of 15 years of work for RED Development in downtown Phoenix.
6. The restoration of the former Monti’s La Casa Vieja restaurant has been underway for about six months, a process that will eventually transform the home into an office space. The rehabilitation is part of an agreement between the city and Hines Interests LP and Cousins Properties Inc. In June, the interior adobe is expected to be complete and work will begin on the exterior of the building.
7. A grand opening ceremony was held on Jan. 23 for the completion of the $15.8M Mesa Artspace Lofts development.
8. Estrella Medical Plaza II, the newest building on the Banner Estrella Medical Center campus, is now complete and a grand opening ceremony was held on Jan. 23. The Class A, four-story, 64KSF medical space at the SEC of Thomas Rd and the Loop 101 Freeway in west Phoenix, is already approximately 40 percent leased.
9. Italian nylon fiber manufacturer Aquafil opened its first carpet recycling facility in Phoenix. The new 116KSF building has the capacity to turn 36M pounds of old carpets into raw material annually.