Source: Arizona Department of Transportation
A proposal to make improvements to two important corridors in the Tucson area is now available for public review and comment.
The Draft Environmental Assessment and Initial Design Concept Report for Interstate 10 from I-19 to Kolb Road and State Route 210 from Golf Links Road to a future connection with I-10 along Alvernon Way are now available on the project website at azdot.gov/i10sr210study.
The Initial Design Concept Report refines and evaluates two build alternatives and a no-build (“do nothing”) option. It recommends the following improvements:
- Designate Alvernon Way as SR 210 from Golf Links Road to I-10 and provide four travel lanes in each direction
- Add a new system interchange to provide access between SR 210 and I-10
- Add up to two lanes in each direction on I-10 between the I-10/I-19 interchange and Alvernon Way
- Add up to four lanes in each direction on I-10 between Alvernon Way and Kolb Road
The Draft Environmental Assessment examines potential impacts to the natural and human environments associated with the proposed improvements.
A public hearing on the I-10/SR 210 study is scheduled for Wednesday, November 20th, from 5:30 p.m. to 7:30 p.m. at Billy L. Lauffer Middle School, 5385 E. Littletown Road in Tucson. The hearing will include a presentation at 6 p.m. Members of the Arizona Department of Transportation study team will be available to answer questions. The public will have opportunities to make verbal comments, submit written comments or share their input with a court reporter.
Members of the public are encouraged to review the Draft Environmental Assessment and Initial Design Concept Report and provide input during the formal comment period, which begins Tuesday, October 29th, and continues through Thursday, December 12th, 2019. The documents can be viewed on the project website and at the following locations:
- Littletown Community Center, 6465 S. Craycroft Road, Tucson, AZ 85756
- Joel D. Valdez Main Library, 101 N. Stone Avenue, Tucson, AZ 85701
- Sam Lena-South Tucson Public Library, 1607 S. Sixth Avenue, Tucson, AZ 85713
All comments received during the public comment period will be documented and responded to in the final Environmental Assessment and Design Concept Report.
The purpose of the study is to relieve congestion and improve traffic flow on I-10 and to connect the east end of SR 210 with I-10 to provide an additional route into and out of the downtown Tucson area.