1. The $115M sports arena planned by Arizona State University to host hockey, wrestling and gymnastics has received final approvals from the Arizona Board of Regents and the City of Tempe and is set to begin construction in January. Construction is scheduled to be complete by December 2022. The venue will be managed and operated by Oak View Group. Mortenson Construction is the developer design-builder, and SCI Architects designed the building.
2. The Phoenix Business Unit of Trammell Crow Company, along with capital partner Clarion Partners, LLC, announced that it has broken ground on the 285.1KSF Cowden Logistics Center at 420 S. 104th Avenue, Tolleson. The project is being designed by Butler Design Group and Wespac Construction is the general contractor.
3. Virtua Partners has broken ground on V Townhomes at Manistee Ranch, a 71-unit single-family rental development on a 5.78-acre infill lot at North 53rd Avenue, Glendale. Over the next 18 months, this Opportunity Zone property in the Manistee Ranch community will be improved with several clusters of contemporary-style townhomes.
4. Greenlight Communities, in a joint venture with Holualoa Companies, broke ground last month on Cabana Encanto, a 286-unit apartment project located at 2323 N. 150th Drive in Goodyear. The 8.8-acre parcel was acquired in June 2020 and construction is set for completion in the winter of 2021.
5. NexMetro Communities announced that they started development on Avilla Canyon and Avilla Magnolia, luxury single-family rental homes both located in Phoenix, with expected opening dates in late 2021 and early 2022.
6. Demolition of the NAPA Auto Parts Store on North Maricopa Road, began early Tuesday morning. Tom and Tena Dugan, owners of the business, closed the auto repair operation, Mel’s Auto, in February 2020. The intent was to demolish the building as part of the Department of Transportation overpass construction project.
7. The Southwest Division of Graycor Construction Company has completed its panel tilt at Glendale 303 (“G303”) Phase I. The project, which is being developed by Hines, and funds managed by Oaktree Capital Management L.P. will be constructed in two phases, with two buildings each totaling 569.5KSF. Construction on Phase I began in July and is scheduled for completion during first quarter 2021. Ware Malcomb is the architect.
8. Willmeng Construction Inc. hosted a tilting ceremony on November 2nd, celebrating the successful lift of the heaviest concrete tilt panel in the nation and the eighth tallest in North and South America, weighing in at more than 500K lbs. at the Northrop Grumman satellite manufacturing facility in Gilbert. Due to the massive size of these panels, Suntec Concrete poured the slabs weeks prior to account for the lengthy curing process. Gensler is the architect on the expansion.
9. McCarthy Building Companies recently achieved the construction milestone of topping out on the new $192M, 281KSF Interdisciplinary Science and Technology Building 7 (ISTB7) project at Arizona State University. The project is scheduled for completion in December 2021. Grimshaw Architects and Architekton are the design firms.
10. Epicenter, the high-end, vertically integrated mixed-use community and retail destination in the heart of Agritopia®, is progressing on schedule with construction since its groundbreaking in January. The 320-unit multifamily development is slated to welcome residents in the fall of 2021. Johnstone Farms, LLC is the owner, Looney Ricks Kiss and Streetlights Residential are the design firms and Streetlights Residential is also the general contractor.
11. Now nearly a year into construction, the Prescott Regional Airport’s new $15M passenger terminal project is entering the final-details stage. The project, which broke ground in January 2020, is slated to open for business in March 2021. The city contracted the team of Willmeng Construction and Fann Contracting to do the project.
12. NexMetro Communities announced that Avilla Lago in Peoria will open with 120 luxury single-family rental homes and Avilla Enclave in Mesa will open 96 homes in Q1 2021 with pre-leasing starting in early 2021.
13. The Opus Group announced the completion of Goodyear Airport Industrial, a 450.6KSF speculative industrial development situated on 29.2 acres in Goodyear. Goodyear Airport Industrial will provide tenants with convenient access to major transportation routes, including I-10 and MC-85. Opus was the developer, design-builder, interior designer and architect and structural engineer of record.
14. Completion of the $8.6M phase 1A of the Margaret T. Hance Park Revitalization Project was celebrated by the Hance Park Partner Coalition on December 15th with a ribbon-cutting ceremony for the 20KSF Fiesta Bowl PLAY at Hance Park. The City of Phoenix partnered with HargreavesJones, an award-winning international landscape architecture firm, to lead the redevelopment of Hance Park. Construction is being managed by contractor Haydon Building Corp.
15. Aldi, located at 26455 N. Lake Pleasant Parkway, Peoria, celebrated a ribbon cutting and finally opened its doors on December 15th after breaking ground in 2018. The grocer has plans for four more locations in the Valley, opening this fall and winter, including a store in Goodyear. The other stores will be in Chandler and Gilbert.