Awards & Accolades
1. The Sycamore Elementary & Corona Foothills Middle School solar project recently named Most Inventive by Solar Builder’s Editor’s Choice Awards 2020. Developed by SOLON Corporation in partnership with Vail School District, the project includes two large solar superstructures totaling over 28KSF.
2. The Opus Group announced the start of construction on Goodyear Airport 85, a 275KSF speculative industrial development at North Litchfield Road on a 19-acre site. The project is slated for completion in summer of 2021. Opus is the developer, design-builder, architect, and structural engineer.
3. Replay Destinations has broken ground on Ascent at The Phoenician®, a planned private residential community located adjacent to The Phoenician®, a Luxury Collection Resort in Scottsdale. Infrastructure construction is expected to finish in early fall of 2021 by Tiffany Construction Co. The first phase of luxury residential homes will be constructed by PWI Residential Construction anticipated for completion in Spring 2022. Future phases will be built out over the next several years.
4. The Related Group announced the groundbreaking of The Manor Scottsdale, a 286-unit upscale multi-family residential community at 13220 N. Scottsdale Road, Scottsdale. The first residential units will be available in late first quarter of 2022 with the grand opening slated for fall of 2022. McShane Construction Company is the general contractor on the project and Humphreys & Partners Architects is the design firm.
5. Brinshore Development has already started excavation on The Fort Valley Apartments, a 77-unit mixed-income multifamily development in Flagstaff. Excavation is expected to take a total of three months, at which time construction of the actual buildings can start. The project is slated to be fully completed by fall of 2021.
6. Union Park at Norterra’s master developer, Sunbelt Holdings, and landowner, USAA Real Estate have begun construction on the second phase of single-family residential and will add a new rental home neighborhood within the 400-acre master planned community. The second phase is planned to open for sales in early 2022 and will include four neighborhood parks, including a dog park.
7. The Mount Lemmon Lodge officially broke ground a few weeks ago in Tucson and is expected to bring 16 guest rooms, a gift shop and a Beyond Bread café when it opens in spring 2022. Diana Osborn is the architect on the project.
8. The county’s Payson offices housing the Health and Emergency Management Department, Community Action Program, and the UA Cooperative Extension Service were demolished recently. The work is the first physical step in making way for a multi-million-dollar, 11KSF multipurpose complex near Colcord and Frontier streets. Construction is expected to begin this month.
9. Construction continues on Parkland Development’s $6M Park 10 Shops C project, which includes a 13.3KSF retail building and 4.3 acres of sitework that includes parking and wet utilities. Butler Design Group is the architect on the project located at 10331 W. McDowell Road, Avondale, and A.R. Mays Construction is the general contractor. Completion is slated for May 2021.
10. A massive renovation to Roosevelt Row’s largest office building, The 100,KSF Ten-O-One Building, is nearly complete, and to cap it off civil engineering firm Ritoch-Powell & Associates has leased the top floor of the downtown Phoenix building for its headquarters. The building’s basement is still under construction to be transformed into a speakeasy cocktail lounge.
11. The Tempe Streetcar, a $102M project that began construction in 2017, is nearing completion and is expected to be operational in mid-2021. The Streetcar will have capacity for 125 passengers and six vehicles will be traveling along the three-mile double track alignment that borders ASU. Stantec is the design firm and Stacy and Witbeck is the CMAR.
12. Shadow Mountain Village, a 94-unit townhome community in Bellemont, is nearing completion, with its first residents set to arrive this spring. The project’s groundbreaking was in April and two model homes are scheduled to open by mid-January. Solid Homes is the developer for the project.
13. The Rio Nuevo board has committed nearly $70M to sprucing up the Tucson Convention Center downtown. The first phase of the upgrades is scheduled to be done by January. The second phase, which includes fixing up the Music Hall, ground lighting and another parking garage near the Music Hall, is expected to be wrapped up by the end of 2021. Swaim Associates and GLHN Architects & Engineers are the design firms and Sundt Construction and Concord General Contracting are the general contractors.
14. Work is progressing on the January 8 Memorial at downtown’s Presidio Park, which is next to the historic Pima County Courthouse. About $3M was raised by the foundation, which turned the money over to the county for the construction.
15. A socially-distanced ribbon-cutting ceremony was held on November 23rd for the completion of the new permanent administration building for the City of Maricopa Fire/Medical Department located at 45695 W. Edison Road.
16. While there is still a lot of work left on the PHX Sky Train project, Weitz recently completed construction on the PHX Sky Train Maintenance & Storage Facility. The project was completed at the end of October.
17. Weitz wrapping up construction on the Sun City Amenity Center in Buckeye. Construction is expected to be complete this month.
18. Lucid Motors has completed its $700M Casa Grande factory and is commissioning the equipment to begin manufacturing tens of thousands of electric vehicles starting in Arizona this spring. SSOE Group was the design firm and Walbridge was the general contractor.
19. The Arizona Department of Transportation announced the on-time opening of the I-17 interchanges at Happy Valley and Pinnacle Peak roads. Traffic began flowing through all lanes of the interchange at Pinnacle Peak Road on Friday, November 20th, and at the Happy Valley interchange last week.
20. Barclay Group recently opened three new EoS Fitness gyms in Phoenix, Tempe and Tampa, Florida. The Arizona locations include one at the I-10 and Warner Road, Tempe, and one at Cave Creek and Cactus Roads, Phoenix.
21. KB Home announced the grand opening of Entrada Del Rio, a new enclave of ranch-style homes in the Rancho Sahuarita master plan. The master-planned community offers resort-style amenities, including the Rancho Sahuarita Club, a multipurpose recreation center that features meeting rooms, athletic courts, a full fitness facility, kids club, playground, mini putt-putt course, sports bar, lap pool and splash park complete with water slides.
Awards & Accolades