Awards & Accolades
1. McCarthy Building Companies Inc. ranked No. 7 in Solar Power World’s 2018 Top Solar Contractors list of top contractors in the U.S. McCarthy was also ranked No. 5 on the “Top 10 Solar EPCs” list and No. 7 on the Top 10 Utility Solar Contractors list. In 2017, which the lists were based on, McCarthy’s Renewable Energy team installed 370,000 kilowatts (DC) for 10 projects in communities throughout the U.S.
2. For the eleventh year in a row, the Town of Oro Valley Procurement Division has received the Achievement of Excellence in Procurement Award from the National Procurement Institute.
3. Becky McCain of Concord General Contracting, was honored by Constructech magazine’s 2018 Women in Construction. This award recognizes women who are successful within the construction community and are constantly proving that they have the passion, tenacity, and steadfastness to lead the largest and most successful projects in the world, all while leveraging innovative technology.
Boards & Commissions
4. The League of Arizona Cities and Towns elected Maricopa Mayor Christian Price as its new President for a two year term. The League represents all 91 incorporated municipalities in Arizona, and is the primary legislative advocacy group for cities and towns in the state.
5. Construction prefab startup Katerra, most recently valued at $3B, has reportedly experienced production-based delays, high executive turnover and design errors that could potentially derail its mission to revolutionize the construction process. The company has raised more than $1B from major investors but has yet to complete a major project using its end-to-end design, manufacturing and construction model.
6. CRE firm Keyser Co. added an aerospace division this year to specialize in finding suitable offices and other properties for this emerging market. The Arizona Commerce Authority estimates there are 1,200 aerospace companies in the state.
7. Scorpion Technologies, LLC of Tucson purchased the 9KSF former Dollar General store at 155 W Valencia Road in Tucson for $630K. The engineering firm will convert the former retail building into office space.
8.Business Journal) Four new staffers have recently joined Mortenson Construction. Joe Strobbe, Jr., has started work as a construction executive. Damon Jeffrey is a newly hired senior design phase manager. Andrew Durda and Tim Hester have signed on as senior estimators.
9. Long Realty recently announced three new hires. Mick Cluck has joined the River/Campbell office as an associate broker. Associate broker Mike Sturgis has started work in the Foothills office, as has sales agent Michael Troughton.