Awards & Accolades
1. Avondale’s Festival Fields Park, which recently underwent a $19M expansion and renovation, was named Outstanding Facility of the Year by the Arizona Parks and Recreation Association.
2. The AZ Water Association has recognized EPCOR USA with its 2020 Water Project of the Year Award for EPCOR’s $29M expansion of the White Tanks Regional Water Treatment Plant in Surprise.
3. Wood Partners has begun construction on the 385KSF, 330-unit Alta Raintree multifamily development located at 688 E. Raintree Drive, Scottsdale. The project is scheduled to be completed in fall 2021.
4. The construction of the Downtown Links project in Tucson started last Monday to one day connect motorists from Barraza-Aviation Parkway to Interstate 10 and relieve downtown congestion. The 30-month project is complete in early 2023. Downtown Links Constructors, a partnership formed by Borderlands and Granite Construction, will complete the project.
5. Dirt work began at the site of the new Prescott Jail on Monday, August 24th. The board approved the $4.4M contract on August 5th for the mass grading at the site.
6. WCCP Rosemont and PEA Enterprises have begun $3.8M in capital improvements to properties at the Williams Center in Tucson. The properties include 5210 E. Williams Circle, the Twin Towers at 5225 & 5285 E. Williams Circle and a 1.9KSF freestanding former retail bank branch building with drive thru at 5180 E. Williams Circle.
7. Twin Peaks has broken ground on a 7.1KSF restaurant in the SEC of the Tempe Marketplace shopping center near US Bank and Johnson Fitness. The estimated completion is in early 2021.
8. Valleywise Health is working hard on new hospitals and clinics around the valley. They opened a new health clinic in Laveen, with plans to open another at 19th and Northern avenues this fall, replacing the Sunnyslope community health center. Meanwhile, work on the $590M Roosevelt Replacement Hospital is also underway. That 10-story tower is expected to be completed in October 2023.
9. The Aldi discount grocery store at 1801 Pecos Road, Gilbert, is expected to open in December of this year. Aldi also is debuting three other Valley locations by the end of the year – Chandler, Peoria and Goodyear.
10. Achen-Gardner Construction has flipped traffic to the north side of Lincoln Drive and is beginning work on the south side as part of the Roadway Improvements Related to the Ritz-Carlton CMAR project. They are also installing storm drain on Mockingbird Lane, part of the more than 6,200 LF of storm drain (up to 54″) on the whole project. The roadway improvements are expected to be completed in August 2021.
11. Construction on Bowlin Road in the City of Maricopa is finally complete significantly ahead of its original schedule. Originally slated for December 2021, the new road will fully connect North White & Parker Road and Hartman Road giving communities in Tortosa, Sorrento and Rancho Mirage an alternate route to Honeycutt Road.
12. Company officials held a ribbon-cutting ceremony for Copper Springs East, Gilbert’s first 60KSF, 72-bed in-patient behavioral health hospital, at the NEC of Melrose and Rome streets. The Gilbert facility began construction in the summer of 2018.
13. HonorHealth is opening their 210KSF, 70-bed HonorHealth Sonoran Crossing Medical Center in north Phoenix in mid-September.
14. Iconic Tire & Service Center opened its doors for the first time Monday at 19945 N. John Wayne Parkway, within the newly developed Maricopa Town Plaza.
15. Studio MA, along with developer, Hollyhock, LLC and general contractor, The Construction Zone, recently celebrated the completion of The Hollyhock, an 11-townhome speculative infill multifamily housing development in Phoenix.
16. The Valley’s first Arrive Hotels & Restaurants-branded hotel opened this week. The 79-room, $25M property developed by Venue Projects and Vintage Partners is located at 400 W. Camelback Road, Phoenix.
17. Fry’s Food Stores opened its latest Marketplace store in Gilbert, Wednesday, September 2nd. The 129KSF full-service grocery store is located at 1455 N. Higley Road, Gilbert.