Awards & Accolades
1. Three of the state’s major freeway and highway projects have earned regional awards from The American Association of State Highway and Transportation Officials. These projects will now be considered for selection as one of the “Top 12” in the national competition sponsored by AASHTO, AAA and the U.S. Chamber of Commerce. They are:
- Loop 202 South Mountain Freeway, First Place in Best Use of Technology & Innovation, Large Project
- Interstate 10/State Route 87 Improvement Project, including Dust Detection, First Place in Operations Excellence, Medium Project
- State Route 347 Overpass at Union Pacific Railroad, First Place in Quality of Life/Community Development
2. Gila River Hotels & Casinos – Wild Horse Pass broke ground on a $143M expansion project in Chandler. Scheduled to open in fall 2021, an 11-story hotel tower will be added to Wild Horse Pass and connect to its existing hotel. Friedmutter Group is the architect and Sundt Construction, Inc. is the general contractor. TynanGroup is the project manager.
3. Marwest Enterprises, LLC (Marwest) announced the groundbreaking of its new 525KSF, Class A industrial development, Landing 3, part of a multi-phase, master-planned industrial project at Phoenix-Mesa Gateway Airport in Mesa. Ware Malcomb is the architect and Willmeng Construction is the general contractor on the project.
4. Mountain Pacific, in partnership with Banyan Residential, is slated to break ground on its 222-unit multifamily development at 5321 E. Washington Street, Tempe, in the first week of October. Amenities will include a resort-style pool, fitness center, meditation room, mobile market, dog walk, and tenant rooftop deck.
5. Sigma Contracting, Inc. announced its collaboration on a unique restaurant concept opening in November at 1455 N. Scottsdale Road, on the campus of SkySong, the ASU Scottsdale Innovation Center. Sigma Contracting is providing design-build tenant improvement services for Born & Raised Hospitality. The $550K TI project comprises 2.5KSF. A-Line Architecture is the design firm.
6. ADOT’s $72M project to add new lanes and make other improvements along Loop 101 (Price Freeway) between Baseline Road and Loop 202 (Santan Freeway) in the East Valley has been completed on schedule. Construction began in May 2019 and the Loop 101 now has four general purpose lanes and an HOV lane in each direction south of the US 60 interchange.