Awards & Accolades
1. ENR’s regional Excellence in Safety Award is now in its eighth year and is honoring three projects for their outstanding safety records and jobsite procedures. The Arizona project that won the Excellence in safety, Award of Merit is the I-10 Ina Road Traffic Interchange project in Tucson, which was submitted by Sundt/Kiewit, a Joint Venture. All the winning projects can be found here.
2. The City of Goodyear is welcoming Amazon’s newest high-tech facility on Bullard Avenue just north of the I-10. At 855KSF, the new four-story facility is the largest building ever built in Goodyear. With four levels, the building spans more than 2.3MSF. The project is expected to open by the end of 2020.
3. Capital Development Southwest Inc., in partnership with SLG Management, announced a new development project at The Pavilions at Talking Stick. The new Comfort Suites, a Choice Hotel brand located adjacent to Salt River Fields, will break ground this month. Alexander Building Company is the general contractor and RKAA is the architectural firm.
4. Developer, SB2-VB, LLC continues to move full steam ahead with its highly anticipated Live+Work+Play project, Verde at Cooley Station in Gilbert. The development is currently anticipating an initial opening in Q4 of 2021 but is already locking up tenants.
5. After some delays, Pivot Development is moving forward with construction of the Papago Plaza redevelopment project in Scottsdale. A wrecking ball took out Papago Plaza’s iconic pueblo-style buildings in December 2019 and now crews are working on the foundation and preparing to start infrastructure work to make way for phase 1 of the new development.
6. A new 129KSF Fry’s Marketplace location will open on Baseline & Higley roads in Gilbert on September 2nd. This location will replace the one two miles west on Baseline Road and Val Vista Drive, which confirmed that it is closing on September 1st.
7. Work on the 32nd Street interchange and the multi–use bike-pedestrian path along the southern edge of the Loop 202 freeway is expected to be completed by Labor Day. Then light shields will be installed to protect nearby residents from glare issues.
8. Honoring/Hiring/Helping Our Heroes of Pinal County continues improvements on the Veterans Transition Center located at 5497 E. McCartney Road, including flooring, paint and carpet on the ground floor. Initially, the facility will feature eight bedrooms and two handicapped-accessible bedrooms on the ground floor. The center will open in four phases with a tentative opening date about a year away.
9. The Hyatt Place/Hyatt House Tempe Downtown opened its doors on August 13th. The eight-story, LEED certified, dual-branded hotel, located at the NEC of E. Veterans Way and E. 6th Street in Tempe, within the Novus Innovation Corridor. Mortenson, the developer and design-builder of this hotel, sold the new property in August. The design team includes PK Architects, in partnership with ESG Architects and Design Force Corporation.
10. Towne Storage has completed construction of their 86.8KSF, two-story storage facility with a rental office of the same name at 8751 E. Broadway Road, Mesa. Robert Brown Architects was the design firm and A.R. Mays Construction was the general contractor.
11. Following an extensive $100M investment by Palisades Resorts LLC, Marriott International’s Autograph Collection Hotels will celebrate the grand opening of ADERO Scottsdale on October 1st, 2020. Allen + Philp Partners was the design firm and Balfour Beatty Construction was the general contractor.
12. Costco is hosting a grand opening of its new location near Waddell Road and Sarival Avenue at 8 a.m. Thursday, September 24th. The gas station opened in recent weeks and now awaits the grand opening of the store.
13. SpringHill Suites by Marriott, a new 88-room hotel located on Bullard Avenue just north of Interstate 10 in Goodyear, is now open. The hotel was developed by HCW Hotel Management.
14. The Town of Queen Creek recently completed construction on a three-million-gallon water reservoir and booster pump station called the Meridian Water Storage Facility. The new infrastructure provides increased water storage capacity and increased efficiencies. A virtual ribbon cutting can be found here.
15. Gardner Capital completed construction of El Caro Apartments, a 102-unit affordable senior apartment complex in Phoenix. Kitchell served as the general contractor.
Awards & Accolades