1. VanTrust Real Estate announced the start of construction on two new Amazon Sortation Centers, one at Corona and Alvernon, Tucson, and another at North Sarival Road and Maryland Avenue, Glendale. Both buildings will span approximately 270KSF, were designed by HPA Architecture and are being constructed by Layton Construction. They are expected to open later this year.
2. Conor Commercial Real Estate and joint venture partner WHI Real Estate Partners recently started construction on phase two of Lotus Project, which will incorporate three additional industrial buildings totaling nearly 300KSF on a 21-acre site in Chandler. The new buildings will offer 24′ to 32′ clear heights, 60 dock doors, eight drive-in doors, 558 parking spaces and 55′ speed bays. McShane Construction Company is the general contractor.
3. Cannon Beach is set to break ground on Surf’s up Mesa!, a 37-acre surf, shop, gym and multi-use development project at the cross streets of Power and Warner roads in Mesa, on Tuesday, March 30th at 11 a.m. The project will include Revel Surf, a 3.3-acre surf lagoon. The land planning project was developed in consultation with EPS Group, H20 Design, and Adaptive Architects. Revel Surf plans to open May 2022, with the surrounding amenities to follow.
4. Merit Partners is beginning construction on a 750KSF warehouse and distribution center for Gatorade as part of the Tolleson Corporate Park near 75th Avenue and Buckeye Road. The park will consist of 2.4MSF in five buildings once the Gatorade warehouse is complete. The project is expected to be completed in October.
5. The first phase of a 19.6-acre, unnamed park located on County 24th Street between 19th and 20th avenues, San Luis, has started construction. The first phase will include two soccer fields, sidewalks and public parking, and is expected to be completed in a year. When all phases of the $10.3M park are completed, the park will include a baseball field, two basketball courts, a court for sand volleyball, an area for public entertainment events, children’s playground, ramadas and an aquatics recreation area.
6. Tower Capital arranged a joint venture with a private equity firm for financing for a 114-unit townhome community at W. Bell Road and N. Litchfield Road, Surprise. The project begins construction this month and is expected to take 18 months to complete.
7. Chompie’s is set to open a new restaurant, deli and bakery at 3212 E. Cactus Road, Phoenix, this summer. They will be opening in a former Big Lots location and have begun a massive renovation. The project was designed by Sargenti Architects in collaboration with Sixty First Place Architects. JRI Hospitality is an investment partner with Chompie’s.
8. The City of Coolidge anticipates opening the new Aquatic Center just outside Coolidge High School by May 2021. Construction of the centerpiece water slide caught the eye of locals this past week, as the final pieces were being installed and the cement lining of the pools was underway. Sunrise Engineering is the design firm and Haydon Building Corp is the general contractor.
9. Upward Projects’ new 5KSF, high-end, healthy food-focused convenience store called Air Guitar, located at the NWC of Higley and Ray roads, Gilbert, is set open to the public in October. The project began construction in December and was designed by Debartolo Architects.
10. CaliberCos Inc. and Ryan Companies US, Inc. announced the completion of the first and only hotel connected to the Tucson Convention Center. The 104.3KSF, 170-room DoubleTree by Hilton Tucson Downtown began taking reservations March 7th and opened to guests on March 23rd. The project team also included Rio Nuevo, the City of Tucson, Swaim Architects, Within Studios, Highgate and more.