1. The Related Group announced the groundbreaking of Town Deer Valley, a 388-unit multi-family luxury residential apartment homes at 24032 N. 19th Avenue, Phoenix. The project’s design firm is Gary Todd Architects and the general contractor is GCON. The first residential units will be available in the second quarter of 2022 with the grand opening slated for fall of 2022.
2. The Arizona Department of Transportation is starting a project to replace the Interstate 40 bridges over Business 40, which connects the interstate to Historic Route 66 in west Flagstaff. The project, which is approximately three miles west of the junction with Interstate 17, will replace the east- and westbound bridges on I-40 in their entirety. The project is anticipated to be completed by fall 2022.
3. This month, EPCOR is beginning construction on a project to add capacity to the Pecan Water Reclamation Plant (WRP) and replace the existing headworks. The $21M expansion will add 1 million gallons per day of capacity for a total of four million gallons per day. It is on an accelerated timeline to complete it by first-quarter 2022.
4. Rio Cantera Lodging broke ground on the new 83-room La Quinta Inn and Suites by Wyndham at the intersection of East 8th Street and Castle Dome Avenue in Yuma. A groundbreaking ceremony was held last week. Medallion Hospitality is managing construction and hotel operations, and the hotel is scheduled to open in early summer 2022. Other project consultants include Authentic Architectural and Commercial Property Group.
5. CVS Health is helping the nonprofit UMOM New Day Centers by investing $12.4M in Newsom Village, a 60-unit affordable housing village at 4020-4032 S. 9th Street, Phoenix. Construction is well underway and is expected to be completed by the end of the year. Other project partners include Arizona Department of Housing, City of Phoenix, construction lender Bank of Oklahoma and permanent lender Rocky Mountain CRC.
6. Sagewood is nearing completion for its Phase II – the largest addition to the 85-acre senior living community since opening in 2010 — that features 101 independent living apartment homes, new restaurants and amenities including The Links at Sagewood, an 18-hole championship golf putting course. The project is being developed by LCS Development and Westminster Capital and is expected to open sometime this spring. Todd & Associates is the architect, and The Weitz Company serves as the general contractor.
7. Originally slated to open at the end of March, the 89-room La Quinta Inn & Suites at Copper Sky is now looking at an opening date in late April or early May due to the impact COVID-19 had on construction. Andy Bhakta is the owner, Suina Design + Architecture is the architect and Adanac Builders is the general contractor.
8. Tucson’s new Gem and Mineral Museum, which began construction in 2018, is expected to be completely finished and ready to open next month. The new museum is about triple the size, with state-of-the-art displays and exhibit with another 9KSF at its disposal for a classroom, research lab and storage.
9. Arcadia Property Management Group, on behalf of building owner, Bow River Capital, completed an extensive remodel to the office tower at 3550 N. Central Avenue, creating a new patio and other amenities. The remodel includes a new 3.2KSF patio with seating and dining areas which connects to a 2.4KSF indoor hospitality suite with seating and dining, a shuffleboard game area, high-tech conference room and full-service canteen. Neo Construction Partners was the general contractor and Phoenix Design One was the interior architect.
10. The Banner Health Center at 21772 S. Ellsworth Loop Road, Queen Creek, recently celebrated a ribbon-cutting ceremony as it’s completed $9.2M expansion project. The new building adds a little more than 19KSF to the existing 21.7KSF complex, along with 30 new exam rooms, bringing the total to 67.