1. Bethany Home Industrial, LLC broke ground January 19th on the 653KSF Brooklyn Bedding/Dreamfoam HQ and Manufacturing Building in Glendale. The design build team on the $44.8M project includes Ware Malcomb and Alston Construction.
2. Robert E. Porter broke ground on Air Guitar, a new upscale convenience store “grab and go” concept that showcases healthy food and snack items, premium beer & wine, coffee & tea and more. Located on the NWC of Higley and Ray roads, the 5.3KSF store is designed by debartolo architects. The new bodega-style store brings “Life’s Little Luxuries” under one stylish, beautifully designed roof. The design utilizes a clean environment with light-filled modern spaces. Air Guitar is scheduled to open in the summer of 2021.
3. McShane Construction Company has started construction on Crescent Communities’ 317-unit multifamily community called NOVEL Val Vista in Gilbert. The project will be complete in Q4 2022. The architect of record is Craine Architecture.
4. Legacy Traditional Schools announced the opening of three new, 40KSF, tuition-free public K-6 charter schools in Arizona in fall 2021. The campuses will be located in Mesa (SEC of Val Vista and McKellips); Deer Valley (near the I-17 at Union Hills and 27th Avenue); and East Tucson (E. Golf Links Road and S. Harrison Road). Groundbreaking ceremonies for the new campuses will be held at 1 p.m. on the following dates:
- Legacy Traditional School-Mesa: Monday, January 25th
- Legacy Traditional School-East Tucson: Tuesday, January 26th
- Legacy Traditional School-Deer Valley: Wednesday, January 27th
5. Construction began this week in San Tan Valley in preparation for the major widening of State Route 24. Beginning Monday and running through January 31st, Ironwood Drive will be one lane in each direction north of Germann Road, according to the Arizona Department of Transportation.
6. Sundt Construction, Inc., celebrated the topping off of the new 11-story hotel tower at Gila River Hotels & Casinos – Wild Horse Pass. The new building will connect to its existing hotel, doubling its guestroom capacity. The new guest tower is a piece of the property’s $143M expansion and renovation. The project broke ground in late 2019 and is estimated to open in the fall of 2021. The Friedmutter Group served as the architect
7. ADOT’s $20.3M project to widen a stretch of Loop 303 between Happy Valley and Lake Pleasant parkways in Peoria is well underway. Initial work began in December. Crews are now constructing support piers for bridges to carry new mainline lanes of Loop 303 over the area where Jomax Parkway will connect to a new traffic interchange. The entire project is scheduled for completion by early 2022.
8. This summer, the City of Goodyear will celebrate the Phase I opening of its 86-acre Recreation Campus on Estrella Parkway between Van Buren Street and Yuma Road. The project, which is 40 percent complete, includes a 48KSF recreation center, an aquatics family and 30-acre park. Phase II will include a 50-acre city park.
9. Goodyear’s new $128.5M Surface Water Treatment Facility, scheduled for completion at 157th Avenue near Estrella Parkway at the end of December, will help support the city’s drinking water needs well into the future. The project got underway October 2019 and includes a six-mile pipeline that will connect Goodyear to the Salt River Project canal system, bringing water from the Colorado River.
10. The Rio de Flag Bridge is moving right along according to the Arizona Department of Transportation. Crews recently completed a retaining wall on the north side of the bridge and are now working on a retaining wall on the south side. Towards the end of February or in early March, crews will begin the six-week process of drilling shafts for the foundation of the new bridge. The $4.9M bridge replacement project is a joint effort involving the City of Flagstaff, ADOT and Federal Highway Administration.
11. Goodyear’s new Fire Station 181 at 450 N. 143rd Avenue will replace the original Station 181 at Yuma Road and Van Buren Street. Construction on the $10.8M station began in May 2020 and is expected to be completed in March.
12. Johnson Carlier recently completed Swire Coca-Cola Yuma. This project consists of a new warehouse distribution facility spanning over 11-acres to accommodate approximately 70KSF of warehouse, office and shipping/receiving space. The warehouse has nine loading docks as well as a dock ramp for one interior loading bay.
13. Resolution Copper has completed a $75M restoration and reclamation project of 475 acres impacted by close to a century of the old Magma Mine’s operations. Resolution Copper also recently completed a $200M project to deepen Magma Copper Mine Shaft 9, which was constructed in 1971.
14. Goodyear Fire Station 186, a $9M, 12.6KSF facility designed to ensure firefighters’ long-term health, is now in service. Construction on the station on Willis Road just east of Rainbow Valley Road in Estrella Mountain Ranch, began less than a year ago and was completed in December.