By Laura Burnett for AZRE
The downtown Phoenix Warehouse District is no longer just for storage. The area from Jefferson to Grant streets, between 7th Avenue and 7th Street, is growing in a direction away from its history as a warehouse district.
Case in point: The Ong Gyut Wholesale Warehouse. Built in 1926 as a grocery storage warehouse, it’s now the new Phoenix home of Las Vegas-based advertising and marketing firm R&R Partners. The company moved into the building in November 2014 after renovating the historic building with the help of CCBG Architects.
A half-underground basement worked for cargo loading from rail cars but made for a challenge when deciding how to accommodate the space for the company. To make the lower level habitable for the creative team, a hole was cut in the second floor – now a stairwell – allowing light from the building’s six original skylights to flow downstairs.
With limited space available, satisfying modern parking standards for offices becomes difficult. Retrofitting an old building isn’t easy or cheap, experts point out, and many smaller companies won’t have the resources to accomplish it.
With buildings for sale and the potential of a growing district, the adaptive reuse of these old buildings may just be starting for those with a vision.
Read more at AZRE