News Ticker

PHX to Determine Fate of RoRo District

Photo credit: Madeline Pado/Downtown Devil

By Jessica Swarner for Downtown Devil

Roosevelt Row is one step closer to having its own business improvement district as the Downtown, Aviation, and Redevelopment Subcommittee unanimously recommended on Tuesday that City Council establish the district.

In November, City Council will vote on a resolution of intent, outlining the details of the district before final approval. If the resolution passes, a certified letter will notify all property owners of the upcoming final vote, which will occur in December.

The purpose of the project is to increase services offered to the district, such as quicker graffiti removal, trash removal, which the city doesn’t currently provide, and event management in the hopes of attracting further investment and development.

The idea was first proposed to the city in February. The subcommittee has undergone a feasibility study commissioned by city council.

Representatives of the project proposed an initial annual budget of $375,000. Private property owners would pay 83 percent through property taxes, and the city would cover the remaining 17 percent.

Hormann & Associates and Downtown Phoenix Inc., an organization devoted to the revitalization of the downtown area, teamed up to notify community members of the proposal and to ask for input.

According to a city council report, the groups sent newsletters detailing the project as well as invitations to public forums to all 214 property owners in the proposed district on seven occasions.

Through feedback from a mailed questionnaire as well as direct correspondence, the team determined that 16 percent of property owners expressed a strong positive position, 8 percent expressed a negative position and 26 percent were neutral. The rest of the property owners’ positions were unknown.

Read more at Downtown Devil

Leave a comment

Your email address will not be published.


*