1. Michael Pollack is making a difference in the community, one shopping center at a time. Pollack Investments has generously donated more than $200,000 in cash and in-kind donations to Assistance League East Valley and will unveil a spectacular newly renovated 8,256SF standalone building at 2326 N. Alma School Road in Chandler that will serve as the charity’s new thrift store location. The Chandler Fire Department and hundreds of volunteers will Stuff the Bus in front of the new thrift store from 8:00 a.m. to 1:00 p.m. on Fri., Oct., 21. Pollack is asking the community to donate new sweatshirts, socks and tennis shoes.
Awards & Accolades
2. Phoenix Sky Harbor International Airport was recognized as a newly-accredited airport in the Airports Council International – North America Airport Carbon Accreditation program. In 2014, Phoenix Sky Harbor set a goal to reduce its carbon footprint 10% by 2020. Between 2014 and 2015, Sky Harbor already decreased its carbon footprint by more than 4%. Decreasing energy consumption and using renewable energy are two major factors in the reduction of an airport’s carbon footprint.
3. Green Ideas Building Science Consultants announced it has received certification as a B Corporation. B Corps are a new type of company that uses the power of business to solve social and environmental problems. Only ten corporations in Arizona are B Corporations. Green Ideas was certified by the non-profit B Lab to meet rigorous standards of social and environmental performance, accountability, and transparency.
Boards & Commissions
4. Chris Zaharis, Executive Vice President, Empire Southwest, is the new board chair of Greater Phoenix Economic Council for 2016 and 2017. Other officers include Tammy McLeod, Vice President of Energy Resource Management at Arizona Public Service Co., as Vice Chair; Andy Warren, President of Maracay Homes, as Secretary; and R. Neil Irwin, Partner at Bryan Cave, LLP, remains Treasurer. The nine new board members are: David Adame, president and CEO, Chicanos Por La Causa, Inc.; Jenn Daniels, Mayor, Town of Gilbert; Jason Earp, Economic Development Director, Tolleson; Dr. Maria Harper-Marinick, Chancellor, Maricopa Community Colleges; Chris Koch, President and CEO, The Carlisle Companies; Mike Madsen, Vice President, Integrated Supply Chain, Honeywell Aerospace; Craig McFarland, Mayor-Elect, Casa Grande.
4. Mark-Taylor Companies promoted John Carlson to President of Mark-Taylor Residential as part of an ongoing succession plan that positions the company as it oversees a growing portfolio of managed properties, and unveils new initiatives and developments. Working alongside John is Michael Wilson, who has been promoted to Vice President of Asset Management. Michael joined Mark-Taylor in 2001 and has successfully led his teams through dozens of lease ups as asset manager, many of which broke company records based on pace and revenue. Wilson will be responsible for bringing an enhanced level of uniformity to operations, reporting, training and expectations of each managed property.
5. Kitchell promoted Jorge Arellano to Vice President of Finance and Accounting and Nancy Kelley to Corporate Controller. Nancy, previously in the role of Assistant Corporate Controller, will assume the role that was occupied by Jorge, who celebrates his 20th year with Kitchell this year. He has progressively increased his responsibilities over the years, growing in his capacity to oversee the financials of Kitchell’s entire corporation and its subsidiaries. Prior to his recent promotion he served as the company’s Corporate Controller for four years.
6. Energy Systems Design promoted Nathan Short, P.E. to Vice President. Nathan brings nine years of electrical design experience with specialization in lighting, building systems and controls. As Vice President, he is an integral part of the engineering department’s management efforts and will continue to build upon client-relationships in his new role.
7. Lee & Associates Arizona hired Sean M. Bishop, CCIM as Principal. Sean brings extensive experience in retail investment and tenant and landlord representation. Since 2008, Sean was a Principal and Designated Broker at Middlefork Commercial, LLC, a Phoenix-based commercial real estate firm that provided leasing, investment sales, tenant representation, and property management services.
8. Pangolin Structural announced the addition of two structural designers to their engineering team: Pedro Mendes and Juan Lozoya. Pedro is an outstanding structural design engineer who has been working in the Phoenix area for over 3 years. Juan has more than 11 years of experience in structural design of buildings in several different market sectors.
9. Small Giants hired Keaton Mower as Business Development Coordinator. Keaton will build relationships with existing clients and leaders throughout the commercial real estate, construction and architecture industries in Phoenix & Denver. She will also identify potential clients in need of marketing services.
10. Carrie Temple has taken a new executive post as Vice President of Asset Management at ViaWest Group. Carrie comes to the Phoenix real estate company from another regional leader in the industry — Evergreen Development Co. She ran her own firm, Desert West Management Inc., for almost 14 years before she merged with Evergreen.