1. Government Employee Miguel Olivas and National Community Health Partners hosted the Pearl Harbor Day Ruck on Thursday, December 7, to help raise money to jump-start the process of building a 10-acre affordable housing development for Pinal County’s veterans. Olivas has also started a GoFundMe campaign with the goal of using private sector funding to complete studies necessary to attract the larger funding sources needed to build a development.
Awards and Accolades
2. The Sunny Plumber was named the 2017 “Contractor of the Year” by Metro Phoenix Plumbing, Heating & Cooling Contractors Association at their annual dinner in November.
3. AECOM was named “Company of the Year” for the second consecutive year by ConstructionDIVE’s Dive Awards for 2017.
4. Andy Smith, Pinal County Public Works Principal Planner, has been appointed by the Pinal Regional Transportation Authority as General Manager. He will be assisting the Pinal Regional Transportation Board with coordinating the implementation of their 20-year Regional Transportation Plan.
5. Markham Contracting Co., Inc., founded in 1977, is celebrating 40 years on laying the groundwork for more than 4,000 municipal, commercial, residential, industrial and utility developments in Arizona. Some of their projects include the original Hughes Helicopter manufacturing plant, now Mesa Boeing; Phoenix International Raceway; the Omni Montelucia Resort, and the Chicago Cubs’ spring training facility.
6. Real estate law firm, MacQueen & Gottlieb, PLC celebrated their first anniversary on November 29. Founded by Patrick MacQueen and Benjamin Gottlieb, the firm practices primarily in real estate law, working with clients both large and small.
7. Civil & Environmental Consultants, Inc. (CEC) has announced the opening of their new location in Lake Havasu City, Arizona, led by Senior Principal, Kevin Murphy, P.E.
8. The Yuma Planning and Zoning Commission appointed Tiffany Ott as their new Commissioner and Dan Symer as the Assistant Director of Community Development at their November 29 meeting.
9. Ryan Companies US, Inc. has announced the promotion of Colleen Kucera, CPSM, to Director of Marketing. Colleen’s responsibilities for Ryan’s Southwest and Northwest regions include but are not limited to: brand development and implementation, marketing strategy, proposal and interview preparation, public relations efforts, advertising and the integration of marketing and business development integration.
10. Valley Metro has unanimously approved CEO Scott Smith’s employment contract for an additional two years. Smith served as Interim CEO in February 2016 and CEO in November 2016. With the extension, Smith’s contract continues through November 2020.
11. Kitchell has promoted three of its employee-owners to the position of Vice President. Jim Kurtzman was named Vice President of hardison/downey construction, Inc., a wholly-owned subsidiary of Kitchell. Nicole Maas was promoted to Vice President of Marketing & Communications at Kitchell Contractors and Dan Mills was promoted to Vice President of Kitchell CEM.
12. Cushman & Wakefield announced the addition of Jerry Roberts as Executive Managing Director and Pat Boyle as Senior Associate to its Phoenix Office.
13. A.R. Mays Construction has announced three new hires. J.D. Wright and Desmon Wright have both joined as Project Managers, while Mark Rothgeb has joined as a Project Superintendent.
14. Derron Bowyer has joined SDB Contracting Services as Director of Business Development. In his new role Bowyer will focus on expanding current markets in education, municipal including JOC, healthcare, and commercial. He will also assist the high tech and life sciences teams in expanding those strong sectors for the company.
15. Maricopa City Council has approved a contract to hire Trisha Sorensen as the Interim City Manager. Sorensen has previously served as Interim City Manager with Maricopa from July 2013 to February 2014 and, prior to that, has worked for the City of Mesa in various executive positions.
16. After 13 years, Florence Assistant Town Manager Jess Knudson is transitioning to a position as the new manager of Lake Havasu City. His last day in Florence will be December 27.
17. hardison/downey recently added Project Superintendent, Manuel Palofax, and Project Engineer, Tariq Azizi, to their team.
18. David Bond has joined Sunrise Engineering’s Mesa Office as Project Manager/Engineer. Bond brings his 18 years of Arizona experience in Engineering Design, Site Development and Project Management, and has worked on hundreds of projects for a diverse array of clients.