1. Sundt Construction, Inc. donated its time and skills over the last month to construct an outdoor activity rink east of the Boys & Girls Club of Tucson on Grant Rd. The Sundt team partnered with Hardrock Concrete, Concord Construction, CEMEX, Sunstate Equipment, Harvey’s Trucking, and Penhall to clear an underutilized sports field and construct the rink foundation that includes a foundation and slab system of nearly 200 cubic yards of concrete. DEK Hockey, the manufacturer of the rink system, arrived shortly afterwards with the components for the rink. A group of volunteers helped to install the rink elements, which included dasher boards, player benches, penalty boxes and a flooring system.
2. In an effort to provide all Big Brothers Big Sisters of Central Arizona children with the back-to-school supplies they need to succeed, Toll Brothers Arizona is conducting Operation Backpack, a Valley-wide contributions drive, for the non-profit organization’s youth facing adversity.
Awards & Accolades
3. DP Electric CEO Dan Puente has been named to the Phoenix Business Journal’s list of Most Admired Leaders. He and other honorees will be recognized Sept. 20 at the JW Marriott Phoenix Desert Ridge Spa & Resort.
4. AZ Big Media’s Ranking Arizona has released its list of the Top 10 Commercial Real Estate Developers in Arizona. Ryan Companies US, Inc. tops this year’s list, which is ranked by popular vote.
5. In April, the International Interior Design Association’s Southwest Chapter gathered to pay tribute to the best people and projects of 2018. The 22nd annual IIDA Professional Recognition for Interior Design Excellence (PRIDE) Awards highlighted some of the best work in the industry. There were 20 different projects that received awards in one of 10 categories, as well as an overall Best in Show project. The full list is available here.
Boards & Commissions
6. The City of Surprise recently enacted changes to its Planning and Zoning Commission. Matthew Keating has replaced Ken Chapman as Chair. Dennis Bash replaced Mitch Rosenbaum as Vice Chair. Member Eric Cultum resigned his position to focus on his City Council election bid.
7. RestorationHQ has announced it has new company ownership. Owner Sergei Guk, who completed a successful management buyout in March, has more than 16 years of experience in every aspect of the restoration industry and is well-respected in the construction field.
8. Lincoln Property Co. has undertaken an effort to get all properties in its portfolio, including its holdings in Phoenix, Energy Star certified. To date, it has achieved certification for 2.8MSF and plans to have all its space recertified this year.
9. J. Scott Morrison, senior VP of Legacy Partners, has died. He had been battling cancer for the past year, according to a statement released by the company. A certified property manager, Morrison had worked in the multifamily management industry since 1977 and joined Legacy Partners in 1992.