1. The OPUS Foundation has awarded a $50K Impact Fund grant to the Be a Leader Foundation to support the group’s efforts in leadership training, personal guidance and mentoring.
2. Gila Community College and the Arizona Department of Transportation will join to train inmates in the construction arts by the time they leave prison. Classes offered to prisoners would include, masonry construction, construction mathematics and job-seeking strategies.
3. Charles Long and CML Construction Services have, to date, donated roughly $18K in materials and labor to the Oatman Fire District to prepare a site for trailers the district will use as quarters, office space and storage. The trailers were donated by Air Methods Corporation, the parent company of CareFlight.
Awards & Accolades
4. The City of Tempe has dedicated the soaring footbridge over Tempe Town Lake in honor of Dean Elmore, whose visions inspired the area’s creation.
5. The 11 winners of this year’s RED Awards have been announced:
Education: Grand Canyon University Masterplan
Healthcare: Yuma Regional Medical Center Emergency Room Expansion
Industrial: REI Distribution Center
Infill: Discovery Business Center-Building 94
Office-Interiors: Matson Money
Office: Marina Heights Bldgs 300, 400, 450
Recreation: OdySea Aquarium
Retail: Town & Country
Architect of the Year: DAVIS
Contractor of the Year: Jokake Construction
Developer of the Year: Ryan Companies U.S., Inc.
6. E. Jeffrey Walsh, Jeffrey H. Verbin and Rebecca Burnham of Greenberg Traurig have all been named as part of AZ Business Magazine’s Top 100 Lawyers in Arizona.
7. ASU’s Ira A. Fulton School of Engineering’s School of Sustainable Engineering and Built Environment recently named five persons to its Academy of Distinguished Alumni Hall of Fame. They are: Stephen Basila, Kent Dibble, Michael Fann, Enamul Huque and Hisham Mahmoud.
8. Jamie Godwin has become an equal partner at Stevens Leinweber Construction, Inc., through the purchase of common stock shares.
9. Gorman & Company is pleased to announce its new CEO will be Brian Swanton.
10. NAI Horizon has announced Michael Gaida has joined the company as an Associate.
11. Gilbane Building Company announced Fred Lindenmuth and Jonathan Lien have joined its team in Phoenix, AZ as Senior Project Managers.
12. Adam Boyd has joined Radix Law as an associate.
13. Greater Phoenix Economic Council has made two recent staffing announcements. Allison Gilbreath has come aboard as VP of Business Development, and Darryn Jones has come on as Director of Business Development.
14. SelfStorageAuction.com has named John Springfield as its chief operating officer.
15. After 38 years of service, Steve Werden has retired from The Weitz Company.