LWI Advisory Group, a Del Mar, Calif., developer wants to build about 300 apartments with a mixed use element including up to 16 unique shops on 16.4 acres near the southwest corner of Ray Rd. and Santan Village Pkwy. Crossroads at Santan Village is next to the DoubleTree hotel and within walking distance of Santan Village mall, according to plans reviewed Wednesday by the Gilbert Planning Commission.
The easternmost part of the complex would include three “urban plazas” among the street-level businesses, which might produce sandwich shops and bakeries, town planner Amy Temes said. The plazas will provide outdoor seating for dining, boutiques, seasonal sales and public gatherings, and customers can park on a tree-lined street next to the shops, according to a town staff report.
The development would be the first of its kind in Gilbert, Temes said. A similar project in Tempe, up for a City Council vote next week, would include nine “live-work” units.
Momentum in the long-vacant area north of Gilbert’s Santan Village mall has been on the rise in recent years, starting with the opening of a hotel and conference center in 2010.
Last year, the same developer won approval for a 382-unit apartment complex just south of the hotel, and construction is under way. This spring, the DoubleTree announced plans for a major expansion, including a small water park, and LWI has come forward with the proposed mixed-use apartments.
Other projects in Gilbert:
- Rockefeller Group proposal for 402 units near Recker and Warner roads
- 300-unit complex near Val Vista Dr. and Pecos Rd.
- 228-unit Highland Groves complex in Morrison Ranch, near Elliot Rd. and Beebe St.
- Central Christian Church, rezone 158 acres for 286 single family homes and 59 acres for the church
- Infill subdivision preliminary plat for 68 homes on 27 acres at 164th St. and Cloud Rd.
- Edu-Prize Charter School expansion decision delayed over neighborhood traffic concerns
Read more at AZCentral