1. The Opus Group has started construction of a 407-unit residential and mixed-use development in Tempe, known alternately as “7S” and “7th Street Mixed-Use” during the planning process. The development will cover most of a city block at the NWC of University Drive and Forest Avenue. The project is a joint venture partnership between Opus Development Company, L.L.C. and Seventh Street Tempe AZ Manager LLC. Opus Development Company, L.L.C. is the developer. Sundt Construction, Inc. is the GC. Opus AE Group, L.L.C. is the design architect, architect and structural engineer of record. SmithGroupJJR is a design consultant.
2. Work is underway on El Rio’s new Cherrybell Community Health Center on the SEC of 22nd Street and Kino Parkway in Tucson. It will open in early 2018 and will encompass two existing El Rio locations as well as El Rio’s teaching health center.
3. Avondale has started work to upgrade its traffic light system with fiber optic cable along 2.5miles of Dysart Road between I-10 and Indian School Road. There will be rolling lane closures on the northbound corridor. The project is scheduled to last until June 1.
4. A $3.5M renovation effort has started that will convert the historic Alhambra Hotel in Mesa into student housing for Benedictine University. Due to the building’s historic registry status, the exterior will remain largely unchanged. The property is owned by Venue Projects and Community Development Partners and will be leased to the university when complete.
5. The City of Phoenix and the Flood Control District of Maricopa County have completed the largest regional stormwater retention basin to be constructed, to date, in South Mountain – an area, prone to severe flooding. The new retention basin was built on the NWC of 27th and South Mountain avenues, on a 36-acre parcel, and is twice as large as any of the three existing retention basins in the area.
6. PB Bell is celebrating the completion of its new 286-unit luxury apartment community – Velaire at Aspera – at the NWC of 75th Avenue and Loop 101 in Glendale.