Awards & Accolades
1. The American Institute of Architecture (AIA) Chicago presented Arizona-based Optima DCHGlobal with three awards during its 2016 Design Excellence Awards this month. Optima’s David Hovey Sr., FAIA, earned honors for Optima Sonoran Village, a mixed-use residential community in Scottsdale, which earned the 2016 Distinguished Building Honor Award.
2. hardison/downey recently broke ground on Legacy House of Avondale, a senior living facility near Dysart and Thomas Roads. The two-story, 169-unit facility, for Western States Lodging & Management, will include both assisted living and memory care units. Beecher Walker Architects designed the community, which is scheduled for completion in fall of 2017.
3. Chandler Watermark Partners, LLC and LGE Design Build are teaming up to build a 20KSF, $5M mixed-use project that will serve as Revelation Real Estate’s new headquarters. In addition to the property’s interior space, an expansive patio equipped with its own bar adds another 5,000SF to the sprawling facility.
4. Catholic Charities Community Services and Newport Partners, LLC broke ground this week for the highly anticipated project, Rosewood Court apartments, located at 5104 N. 16th Avenue in Phoenix. The property will consist of 50 newly constructed apartments situated on a cul-de-sac street and will provide affordable housing for qualifying families, seniors and veterans.
5. Christian Care is set to break ground in a couple of weeks on a $65M Fellowship Square senior housing facility in Surprise. Plans call for hiring 85 full-time and 20 part-time employees at the new facility at 16477 W. Bell Road, which is scheduled for a summer 2017 opening.
6. Mainstreet has selected Balfour Beatty Construction to build two new transitional care properties in Tucson and Chandler with a total project value of $24M. Completion is scheduled for the fall of 2017. Balfour Beatty was also awarded a third Mainstreet transitional care project in Surprise; with construction underway, this $14.4M, 68KSF property will feature 100 beds and is scheduled for completion in the summer of 2017.
7. Major work is complete on the Arizona Department of Transportation’s $73M Loop 101 widening project in the East Valley. Although final work and some lane restrictions can be expected over the next month, the last scheduled full closure for the project occurred last weekend to allow crews to add permanent lane stripes and complete bridge deck-joint improvements along northbound Loop 101 north of Chaparral Road.
8. When the Tucson Roadrunners played their first home game last week, they did so at a dramatically renovated Tucson Convention Center. Rio Nuevo District Board Chair Fletcher McCusker and Vice Chair Mark Irvin led the $11.7M project to get the building ready for the professional hockey team.
9. Red Lion Hotel Corp. announced the opening of a Lexington Inn & Suites hotel in Goodyear. Located at 1313 N. Litchfield Road, the 90-key hotel features a heated outdoor pool and whirlpool, free Wi-Fi, fitness center guest laundry and more than 700SF of meeting space.