Awards & Accolades
1. At Westmarc’s Best of the West Awards on Nov. 10, 2016, EPCOR was presented with the West Valley Economic Engine Award for the Water Luke 303 Regional Facility for facilitating growth in the West Valley. Including a new $95 million wastewater treatment facility, the district will serve 7,000 acres of new homes and businesses, and will recharge and reuse 8 million gallons of treated effluent daily.
2. Hines recently joined Cambria hotels & suites for a groundbreaking ceremony at Chandler Viridian. Slated to open in 2017, the Cambria hotel & suites Chandler will feature 136 rooms, a pool with cabanas, fitness room, lounge area and 1,300SF of meeting space. The hotel developer is Concord Hospitality Enterprises of Raleigh, North Carolina, working closely with architect DLR Group of Minneapolis and general contractor Layton Construction of Phoenix. The hotel will be located at the NWC of the Loop 101/Loop 202 interchange in Chandler.
3. Mainstreet has tapped Balfour Beatty Construction to build two transitional care properties in Chandler and Tucson. Each of the 70-bed facilities will provide post-acute care, short-stay rehabilitation and therapy for patients. Common amenities will include a large therapy gym, an outdoor rehabilitation courtyard, a movie theater, a game room, a spa and an on-site chef. Completion of both facilities is expected by fall 2017.
4. Steve & Wendy Voss, owners of LVA Urban Design Studio, are breaking ground at 7502 E. Main St. in Old Town Scottsdale for a dozen $1 million condos, called Main Street Place. The development will feature 12 condos and some ground level office and retail space. The project totals 52KSF, with construction costs estimated at $9M.
5. Construction begins this week on the widening of Avenue 3E between Interstate 8 and US 95, and on US 95 between 3E and Araby Road. The $4.4M joint improvement project between the Arizona Department of Transportation and City of Yuma is mostly federally funded and will widen both roads to five lanes, two thru lanes going each direction and a left-turn lane, according to ADOT.
6. Arizona will soon have its first Alamo Drafthouse Cinema. The theater which will be located at the Chandler Crossings development, near Arizona Avenue and Chandler Heights is set to open Friday, December 2, 2016. The Alamo will have about 980 seats and is planning to hire 170 employees for the opening.
7. An overpass carrying Bell Road across Grand Avenue is set to open Tuesday, Nov. 22, after seven-plus months of construction on a $41.9M traffic interchange. After reopening Bell Road, the rest of the work will primarily be completing ramps connecting Bell Road with Grand Avenue and completing lanes that will carry eastbound Grand Avenue traffic.
8. Wasson Commercial Contracting recently completed construction on a 13,000SF retail building at the NEC of Dobson and Bass Pro Drive at Mesa Riverview. As that project was going up, Wasson was simultaneously doing demolition work to salvage the building that once housed the iconic Harkins Camelview 5 movie theater at Scottsdale Fashion Square.
9. Mercedes-Benz is the newest business to join Gilbert’s fast-growing Rivulon business district. Mayor Jenn Daniels and Town Manager Patrick Banger celebrated the grand opening of the dealership alongside President and CEO of Mercedes-Benz USA, Dietmar Exler. The dealership will bring more than 100 new jobs and approximately $15 million in new capital investment to Gilbert’s central business district.