1. APEX Motorsports broke ground on its car club facility in Maricopa. Completion and opening are planned for early 2019.
2. A ceremonial ground breaking was held on Mercy Medical Commons II, a 56KSF medical office building across from Dignity Mercy Gilbert Medical Center. MedProperties Group of Chicago is developing the project, which will house The CORE Institute in 20KSF.
3. Ryan Companies, Cadence Living and an affiliate of private investor Starwood Capital Group have jointly announced a new senior living community in Scottsdale. Construction is now underway for Acoya Scottsdale at Troon, which will have 135 independent and assisted living units.
4. Construction of a new outpatient cancer center at the Banner – University Medical Center Phoenix campus recently reached its topping out milestone, marking placement of the last steel beam on the project. The project designer is HKS Architects and is built by Kitchell Contractors.
5. Banner Health announced that will name its new Chandler hospital Banner Ocotillo Medical Center. The four-story, 245KSF hospital will be located on the SEC of Alma School Road and Loop 202 Santan Freeway, adjacent to the existing Banner Health Center.
6. Work is ongoing at Reid Park Zoo in Tucson, including improvements to existing animal habitats, plans for new exhibits and an increase in staffing. Efforts currently underway are expected to open in March, and Reid Park Zoological Society is working with the city to select an architect and a construction manager for a $30M expansion project to the west.
7. Eloy City Council members and city employees got a firsthand glimpse inside the new City Hall last week. Last month’s progress report stated that the fire sprinkler installation and interior overhead plumbing, electrical and mechanical work were continuing.
8. In Superior the historic copper smelter stack from the Magma Mine crashed to the ground. Resolution Copper is developing a much larger mine at the site and had determined the stack could not be preserved and was dangerous for workers.
9. Union Park at Norterra is nearing completion of its first phase, which includes seven models by builders Ashton Woods, Cachet Homes and David Weekley Homes. The 400-acre community is planned to open in December.
10. The Opus Group announced the completion of its Union Tempe mixed-use apartment development in Tempe. The development, located on the edge of the Arizona State University campus, encompasses 850KSF, including 407 apartments, 31KSF of retail and restaurant space, and 767 parking spaces in the podium structure.
11. Four Seasons Resort Scottsdale at Troon North has unveiled casitas, suites and public spaces marking the completion of a $13M resort renovation.
12. Davis Enterprises has completed construction of a three-building, 78KSF, new office and industrial near the I-17 and Deer Valley Airport at 2005, 2015 and 2025 W. Deer Valley Rd.
13. Work was recently completed on the 3.2KSF Haven Community Center in Chandler. Located within a larger residential development, the construction included an amenity building, ramada, BBQ patio, lounge terrace and a private community pool and spa. Site work included an ADA pool, ADA spa, lounge terrace, site walls, new hardscape and new landscape.
14. Central Arizona College dedicated a new concrete pad donated by Sundt Construction Inc. on Oct. 30. Sundt covered the costs to pour 320 cubic yards of concrete for a 142-inch-by-92-inch concrete pad to expand training for students in the Industrial Construction and Concrete Technology programs.