Awards & Accolades
1. Arizona has risen to third in the nation for installed solar capacity, after ranking seventh in 2016, according to the Solar Energy Industries Association. The state now has 3,254 megawatts of solar installed compared to 656 megawatts in 2016.
2. The City of Phoenix Street Transportation Department is constructing several improvements on First Street between McKinley and Moreland streets. Key improvements to be made on First Street include widening the sidewalks on both sides of the street, constructing bulb-outs at intersections to narrow the pedestrian crossing distance, and adding shade trees and bicycle lanes.
3. City crews and contractors have initiated construction on the first phase of the Grand Canalscape project – a project which will ultimately result in a nearly 12-mile continuous trail system along the Grand Canal from Interstate 17 to the Phoenix/Tempe border. Over the next year, paved pathways, landscaping, lighting and artistic elements will be constructed along the Grand Canal. Phase one includes the uptown Phoenix area between 15th Avenue and 16th Street and the Gateway area near Sky Harbor Airport between 36th and 40th streets. This phase of the project is funded by the City of Phoenix and the Salt River Project‘s municipal aesthetics program.
4. Workers have placed extra-long girders, the longest bridge girders of their kind in Arizona, on two bridge structures for the 202 South Mountain Freeway. Ninety-four of the girders, each “as long as a 17-story building and each weighing as much as 14 elephants,” have been placed over the Salt River.
5. Phoenix landmark Wrigley Mansion recently underwent a $1M renovation. Updates include a new driveway, better air-conditioning, Wi-Fi throughout the 24-room mansion and surrounding four acres, as well as reworking the breakfast room, bridal suite, restrooms, living room, formal dining room, bedrooms and verandas.
6. Studio Ma, has announced the completion of a new $17M campus for Great Hearts Academies in North Phoenix. Two existing academies are now located on the new campus: Archway North Phoenix and North Phoenix Preparatory.
7. Harkins’ new 16-screen Cine 1 theater has opened in Flagstaff. Cine 1 features a 75-foot screen, 3D Dolby sound with more than 175 speakers and the ability to be operated remotely by a single technician on a tablet computer.
8. On Sept. 20, Phoenix Children’s Hospital will open a $40M addition to its emergency department and Level 1 pediatric trauma center at its main campus. The additions have more than doubled the trauma center and emergency department’s size.