1. CAI Investment LLC began construction on the 276KSF Westin by Marriott in Tempe, which totals 18 stories and 290 rooms, in early 2018 on a 0.85-acre parcel at 11 E. Seventh Street. RSP is the architect for the project and Kitchell is the general contractor. The hotel is anticipated to open in Q2 2021.
2. Construction recently started on the City of Scottsdale’s Thomas Groundwater Treatment Facility, located near the corners of Pima and Thomas Roads. The new facility will house a 1 MGD reverse osmosis system, chemical and pre-treatment systems, a laboratory, locker rooms, electrical and control rooms, maintenance shops, and administrative offices. The project is expected to be completed by late 2021. The engineer is Water Works Engineers and Archer Western Construction is the general contractor.
3. Achen-Gardner Construction recently started work on the Luke 303 North Sewer Trunk Main DBB project for EPCOR Water. This project includes the installation of more than six miles (approximately 35,000 LF) of PVC gravity sewer main (15” to 30”) and 73 manholes adjacent to Luke Air Force Base and the Loop 303. The installation requires excavations up to 30 feet in depth and is scheduled to be complete by August 2020.
4. Chasse Building Team recently broke ground on a new 348-unit apartment complex at Fourth Avenue and Fillmore in Downtown Phoenix.
5. Abrazo Mesa Hospital, a 32KSF building which will offer 24-hour emergency care, surgical procedures and eight inpatient rooms is expected to open this fall at 5750 E. Baseline Road.
6. A $43M, 4-mile stretch of Interstate 10 in Casa Grande now offers three lanes in each direction, moving the Arizona Department of Transportation closer to its goal of expanding to six-lane freeway all the way between Tucson and Phoenix. This complements a $72M project widening 4 miles of I-10 to three lanes in each direction between Eloy and Picacho. Final work on both of these I-10 widening projects is scheduled for completion later this year.
7. Improvements to Ellsworth Road, from Walnut to Germann are expected to be complete by the end of the month. T.Y. Lin completed the design, with Hunter Contracting completing the construction.