1. The “tiny house” project and teaching site — Micro on Madison — at Madison and 12th streets in Phoenix is the latest iteration of a dream by Build Us H.O.P.E. to build 1,200 units around the Valley for homeless and disabled vets. Work began Aug. 19. Another housing effort is underway for veterans near 13th Avenue and Buckeye Road in Phoenix.
2. Vali Homes has announced an early fall start and summer 2018 completion schedule for Ocotillo Mews, a 4-unit villa project in central Phoenix that “embraces the desert climate with thoughtful indoor/outdoor connections.
3. Arizona’s original indoor amusement park, Amazing Jake’s in Mesa is undergoing a $4.5 million renovation, and will soon be Jake’s Unlimited. They’re upgrading their entire space, adding more attractions, games, food and beverage options, and a huge event space. A.R. Mays Construction has already begun work on the remodel of the 87KSF space.
4. Phoenix’s flagship Burton Barr Central Library will reopen for full service in June 2018 after severe damage from a pipe that burst near the roof.
5. Commencing a year-long project, Scottsdale Airport began its first phase of construction on Aug. 1, demolishing the existing terminal and adjacent office buildings and site. Phase 2 is slated to begin this fall.
6. Downtown Scottsdale’s Hotel Valley Ho is spending $1.4M renovating its “hotel within a hotel,” The Tower. The renovations include revamps of its lighting, décor, flooring, and millwork. The makeover is slated to be complete next month.
7. Coconino County and area officials marked the completion of a months-long, $4.7M renovation of the Historic Fort Tuthill Quad at Fort Tuthill County Park.
8. The recently remodeled $4.1M pool complex at the R.H. Johnson Recreation Center, Sun City West, features a pair of decorative fountains, outdoor Jacuzzi, dedicated water-walking path and competitive swimming lanes, as well as a zero-entry section.
9. Crews working to build the last phase of the Loop 303/Interstate 10 traffic interchange in Goodyear have reached another milestone. New stretches of separate north- and southbound Loop 303 frontage roads between McDowell Road and Van Buren Street have opened to traffic as scheduled.
10. The Coolidge Parks and Recreation Department unveiled several improvements made to the Coolidge Adult Center. Upgrades included a workout facility, remodeled bathrooms and a new movie room.
11. For the first time since 1993, extensive refurbishing has been completed on Scottsdale’s historic Kerr Cultural Center’s studio and house — the former home and studio of influential composer Louise Lincoln Kerr.