1. Bourn Companies has broken ground on a new 200KSF corporate employment center for GEICO on 20-acres near 36th Street and MLK Jr. Way, at The Bridges planned master site in Tucson.
2. A.R. Mays Construction announced the start of work on the Westgate Healthcare Campus project at Glendale and 99th avenues. The 13.9KSF, $2.3M facility is scheduled for completion in January.
3. As work on the Loop 202 South Mountain Freeway continues, more than 60 painted precast concrete fins will be placed periodically depending on the grade of the freeway. On flatter stretches the fins are farther apart, while on steeper stretches they are closer together.
4. The main concourse at Sun Devil Stadium is now fully connected, enabling attendees to walk completely around the facility. The $307M stadium renovation began in2014 and will undergo its final phase in 2019.
5. Construction continues at the health-focused, 210-unit The Place at Riverwalk multifamily development in Tucson. A leasing office will open on the site in November, with move-in expected in January.
6. Work progresses on the new Eloy City Hall. Walls have begun to go up and much of the underground work is complete. Among other work, this month block walls will be finished and structural steel and roof framing and decking will begin.
7. Construction of an 18KSF secondhand retail Goodwill store and donation center in Show Low has been in progress since early spring. The store will be on the west side of AZ 260/White Mountain Road.
Awards & Accolades
8. Achen-Gardner won a Project of the Year Award for its Job Order Contracting Master Agreement: Wastewater Conveyance System project for Pima County at the APWA Arizona Chapter Conference.
9. The Salt River Pima Maricopa Indian Community’s new Justice Center, designed by Gould Evans, was recently selected as a 2018 Architizer A+Awards winner in the Government & Municipal Buildings category.
10. The Apache Junction Parks and Recreation Department was given awards from the Arizona Parks and Recreation Association for Outstanding Program (Youth Enrichment Award) for its “Thank Goodness It’s Friday” program, the Outstanding Facility Award for Flatiron Community Park and the Outstanding Special Event award for the Earth Day ladybug release.
11. The iconic D-Vine Bistro & Wine Bar in the Ocotillo community of Chandler is undergoing a refresh and rebrand spearheaded by restaurateur and owner Robert E. Coulson; Ken Morrow, One Way General Contractors; and Beth Katz, KatzDesignGroup. The new project – St. Amand Kitchen & Cocktails – has a scheduled opening date of October.
12. Motorists can now use all of the new Interstate 10 access roads between 51st and 67th avenues for Loop 202 South Mountain Freeway interchange as it emerges in west Phoenix. After several months of construction, the final leg of the eastbound I-10 access road between 59th and 51st avenues opened this month.
13. On July 25, Christian Care Companies opened its sixth Fellowship Square campus in Arizona, Fellowship Square Surprise, at 16477 West Bell Road. The $84M, 15-acre non-profit senior living community offers 313 apartments with multiple levels of care and assistance including Independent Living, Assisted Living and Memory Support units.
14. The $69.6M, American Campus Communities-built Greek Leadership Village campus housing for 27 Greek organizations at Arizona State University‘s Tempe campus is expected to open this month.
15. Caliente Construction joined the City of Chandler in celebrating the completion and ribbon cutting of the $10M Chandler Public Safety Training Center Aug. 8. The 29KSF, two-story masonry building includes a 250-seat auditorium with wheelchair lift, lobby, elevator, classrooms, fitness room, defensive tactics room, restrooms, break room, driving and weapons simulation rooms, and locker rooms.
16. The four-story, 115KSF office building at Camelback Collective is now substantially complete. Planning and entitlements for the project began in early 2015. The project, on the SEC of Camelback Road and 28th Street, is a joint venture between Holualoa Companies and LaPour.
17. Alta Central, a 223-unit community in Phoenix, has opened its doors to residents. Wood Partners completed the development, adding another property to its luxury Alta brand.
18. The new hybrid campus of Saguaro Elementary and Casa Grande Middle School in Casa Grande opened its doors Aug. 6.
19. Motorists now have an additional north-south option when traveling through Queen Creek as the one-mile Crismon Road Extension, from Queen Creek Road north to Germann Road, opened Aug. 7, following a ribbon cutting ceremony.
20. Wadsworth Development Group in a joint venture partnership with Accelerated Development Services attended a ribbon cutting and grand opening ceremony on August 3rd for Goodwill of Central and Northern Arizona. The 23.9KSF store is at the SEC of Ray Road and Rural Road in Chandler.