1. About three months after completing the first phase of improvements to the interchange of Interstate 19 and Ajo Way in Tucson, Arizona Department of Transportation crews have begun the second half of the project. Work on water and sewer lines to clear the way for the project started this week. The $32M project includes building a new bridge over the Santa Cruz River, widening Ajo Way between I-19 and Holiday Isle Boulevard, replacing the pedestrian bridge at Michigan Street and creating a braided ramp south of Ajo Way (State Route 86). The Pima Association of Governments is contributing about $6M toward the cost.
2. GM 19 Bell, LLC , a group formed by local developer Jeff Geyser has signed a lease with Crunch Fitness to anchor Deer Valley Plaza, and the developer will kick off a $2M+ remodel of the shopping center in the next 45 days. The plaza, at the NEC of 19th Avenue and Bell Road, is now more than 85 percent leased. Geyser purchased the 90KSF center last October for $6.2M.
3. A groundbreaking ceremony was held at the Santa Cruz Commerce Center last week, with representatives from the center and the Ak-Chin government on hand to welcome Ibarra Family Farms to the community for the creation of a 16KSF greenhouse that would include, in the Ibarras’ estimation, size and technology unlike any other agricultural business in Arizona. Construction is hoped for by the end of the month, to be completed as soon as possible, with January being considered the latest the greenhouse should be operational.
4. Downtown Phoenix Inc. has recently published a list of 10 Downtown Phoenix Development Projects to Watch, including overviews and progress updates.
5. Highland Prep has invested $10.5M to build a charter school in Surprise. Privately financed, the 36KSF structure was designed by Wes Baker of Babcock Design and is being built by Alexander Building Co. Inc. Plans call for the school to be completed by Aug. 2.
6. Pinnacle Property Management Services, LLC announced the start of leasing for Circa Central Avenue, a six-story mixed-use project containing two creative office suites and 227 multifamily apartments along with a dedicated parking structure and top tier amenities located at 1505 North Central Ave. The mid-rise apartments are expected to open November 2018.
7. Estrella Medical Plaza II, the newest building currently under construction on the Banner Estrella Medical Center campus, is “topping out” at 76 feet in height this month and the roof of the building is now complete. The completed roof paves the way for tenant improvements to begin on the interior of the facility, which is modeled after its highly successful neighbor, Estrella Medical Plaza I.
8. Circle the City has launched its Downtown Family Health Center and in August will open the 50-bed Medical Respite Center at the Human Services Campus at 220 S. 12th Ave. Revamping the 25KSF of the combined facilities came with support from various foundations, including United Health Foundation, the Bob and Renee Parsons Foundation, the Diane and Bruce Halle Foundation, the Virginia G. Piper Charitable Trust, BHHS Legacy Foundation, Thunderbird Charites and others.