1. Grading has begun on the 467-unit Carefree Crossings self-storage facility at 7th Street and Carefree Highway.
2. Construction is underway on a new Abrazo Community Health Network microhospital in Mesa, extending the network’s footprint into the East Valley. The facility is expected to open in Spring 2019. General contractor for the hospital is Adolfson & Peterson Construction; the facility was designed by E4H Architects.
3. Arizona Department of Transportation crews have begun work on a construction project to enhance safety along US 70 in east-central Arizona. Construction started this week on a westbound passing lane near Peridot, a community on the San Carlos Apache Indian Reservation about 20 miles east of Globe. Crews will be widening and repaving between mileposts 268 and 269.
4. Canyon Building & Design announced the groundbreaking on its new office in Chandler. Canyon Building & Design will construct the state-of-the-art 10KSF office and warehouse, situated on 3 acres. This project is a design-build partnership between CBD and Carhuff-Cueva Architects with completion scheduled for October 2018.
5. A library that has been 20 years in the making is finally coming to fruition. Although construction began June 11 on the yet-to-be-named library at Heroes Regional Park on the corner of Bethany Home Road and 83rd Avenue, Glendale held an official groundbreaking ceremony June 27.
6. Prologis, Inc. has selected Graycor Construction Company as the general contractor for its new Prologis I-17 Logistics Center – Phase I, a Class A flex industrial development on 25 acres in Phoenix’s 7th Street corridor. When complete, Phase I will total four buildings and 558.7KSF, divisible from 25KSF to 211KSF. Graycor will begin construction this month, with completion slated for Q1, 2019.
7. Iron Mountain recently broke ground on the first phase of a 550KSF, 48-megawatt Phoenix data center on the NEC of 48th and Van Buren Streets. The new facility is an expansion of Iron Mountain’s Phoenix Data Center Campus, and represents the beginnings of a $430M investment into the campus over the next five years. The first phase is expected to be complete in June 2019 and will add 24 megawatts of capacity.
8. In Bylas, about halfway between Globe and Safford on the San Carlos Apache Indian Reservation, the Arizona Department of Transportation is conducting an ongoing project to repave US 70 between mileposts 293 and 297. This $9M project, which is expected to be completed by October, also includes raised medians, pedestrian walkways, a pedestrian hybrid beacon and drainage improvements.
9. Progress is being made on Welcome Home Veterans Park, the five-acre park near Gilbert and Warner Roads that will feature an 80 percent scale reproduction of the Vietnam Veterans Memorial in Washington, D.C. The project, launched by the Operation Welcome Home Arizona nonprofit organization in 2015, made significant strides in early April thanks to work contributed by the 3rd platoon of the 258th Engineer Company of the Arizona National Guard. The platoon performed pre-construction earth and site work.
10. A major athletic complex at Ottawa University is racing toward a 2019 finish date thanks to a team effort between Phoenix-based Cawley Architects, the school, and the City of Surprise. Cawley Architects is the design firm behind the $23M, 110KSF Ottawa University Athletic Facility for Indoor and Outdoor Athletics. The outdoor center totals 58KSF and the indoor center totals 52KSF. Other team members on the project include Haydon Building Corp. (general contractor); Dibble Engineering (civil); Pearson Engineering (electrical); MDI Engineering (mechanical and plumbing); and CTS Engineering (structural).
11. The joint Casa Grande Middle and Saguaro Elementary School campus is nearing completion and is on track for an August opening. McCarthy Building Companies is the general contractor. SPS + Architects provided the design.
12. Work on the 67.5KSF, 90-bed Destiny Springs Healthcare facility in Surprise is expected to finish this fall. Total development costs are around $24.5M. The two-story facility was designed by Devenney Group. Jokake Construction is the general contractor.
13. A road improvement project along 17 miles of State Route 88, also known as Apache Trail, is expected to be completed by the end of summer. The Arizona Department of Transportation said the $6.5M project focuses on roads starting “3 miles east of Apache Junction and ending 7 miles east of Tortilla Flat (milepost 203 to 220),” within the Tonto National Forest.
14. Located in the Ritz-Carlton Paradise Valley master-plan community near Scottsdale and Indian Bend roads, Shea Homes is building its first Signature line with Azure Paradise Valley. The community features eight home designs ranging from 2,986SF- 6,800SF.
15. DP Electric, Inc. recently finished the Cloudsong project at Scottsdale Community College. The building was designed by Architekton Ltd and built by Okland Construction.