1. Kitchell Development Company recently broke ground on the $9.5M Cave Creek Crossing, a 47KSF retail center at the SWC Carefree Highway & Cave Creek Rd that will include the construction and buildout of a 30KSF Sprouts Farmers Market and construction of two retail buildings. The 10 acres of site work will include three pads for future development. Butler Design Group is the architect for the shell, BRR Architecture is the architect for Sprouts and A.R. Mays Construction is the general contractor.
2. Nearly 100 dignitaries, executives and guests gathered for the formal announcement and groundbreaking of a new eight-story 259-room Hyatt Place/Hyatt House hotel within the Novus Innovation Corridor on the Arizona State University campus in Tempe on Tuesday, April 22. The hotel will be constructed by Mortenson with completion expected in the summer of 2020.
3. McCarthy Nordburg, a woman-owned boutique architectural interior design firm, recently has showcased its expertise and design acumen for a diverse set of clients across the Valley. McCarthy’s design work currently under construction includes:
- A renovation of 16KSF of the Rivulon 161 Building in Gilbert for Cincinnati Financial. The general contractor is Stevens Leinweber.
- A new 130KSF call center in Chandler for Zovio. The general contractor is Stevens Leinweber.
4. The Watermark Tempe, a $150M mixed-use development on the lake’s north shore and west of Scottsdale Road has completed vertical construction and is on track to open in October. The general contractor is Fenix Development.
5. Construction of a State Route 347 overpass in Maricopa is at a key phase this week, with crews starting to pour the overpass’ concrete deck. Completion of the $55M project is scheduled to be finished late this year.
6. The new, $446M nine-story hospital tower under construction for the past four years at Banner – University Medical Center Tucson opened to the public on April 22.
7. Metromile Inc. held a ribbon-cutting ceremony on April 24 for its new 28KSF office at 1501 W. Fountainhead Pkwy, Tempe. The brokers for the new office is a partnership between Avison Young and CBRE. The landlord is Cypress, the design team is SmithGroup and the general contractor is Wespac Construction.
8. The ramps at Interstate 10 and West Ina Road are open and operating as of Tuesday morning. The $128M project includes a four-lane overpass spanning the Union Pacific tracks, the interstate and a separate bridge over the Santa Cruz River. The final step in the project is a one-lane expansion each way on Ina Road, from the interstate to the Santa Cruz River, which is expected to be completed in two months.
9. Recent completion of the Power Road construction from Ocotillo to Brooks Farm provides improvements to one of Queen Creek’s major north-south connectors. They include three lanes in each direction, a center turn-lane and a box culvert, or bridge over the Sonoqui Wash. The second phase of the Power Road improvements, from Brooks Farm to Chandler Heights, is in design with construction anticipated to begin in 2020.
10. Casa Grande’s new $18.2M, 55KSF Community Recreation Center has completed construction and is officially set to open to the public on May 6.