Arizona Projects 01-27-17
1. A campaign to build a shelter for domestic violence victims in south Yuma County can take a large step forward. A portion of proceeds from sales of newly built homes will go toward construction of the shelter that the South Yuma County Coalition against Domestic Violence plans to open. First to enlist in the program was Riedel Construction.
2. Courtesy Automotive broke ground this week for the new Courtesy Volvo of Scottsdale at the Scottsdale AutoShow at Salt River.
3. EdR has commenced construction on a community adjacent to Arizona State University in Tempe in a joint agreement with Opus Development Company. The development will feature 407 residential units. EdR will be 90 percent owner of the $164.9M development and manage the community upon completion in Summer, 2018.
4. Tucson’s Reid Park Zoo will get a new 9KSF animal health center following a groundbreaking this weekend. The facility will open in late 2017.
5. The last steel beam on the Banner-University Medical Center in Tucson was raised this week. The facility is scheduled for completion in April, 2019.
6. After several years of delays, construction of the Cottonwood Wash pedestrian and bicycle bridge got started in December. Earlier this month, CS Construction, began drilling shafts for the bridge, which will run between the existing U.S. Highway 70 bridge and the railroad bridge.
7. Tucson officials said they found building code violations inside the Star Building, 510 N. Seventh Ave., labeling some of the illegal changes made by various tenants as life-threatening. The building has been partially closed.
8. A 76KSF health care center is being built for an active patient population of about 4,000 people on the Fort Yuma Indian Reservation just northwest of Paradise Casino on a former RV park — surrounded by Quechan Drive, Agnes Road, Indian Hill Road and Picacho Road.
9. A $590M upgrade to Sky Harbor International Airport’s Terminal Three in Phoenix is stripping tons of concrete from the structural bones in order to create a new, light-filled public space.
10. Maracay Homes will be building two upcoming Gilbert and Chandler neighborhoods with plans to have both communities LEED Certified with the U.S. Green Building Council.
11. Southwest Ambulance headquarters in west Mesa is getting a new life as the Mesa Fire Department’s regional dispatch and emergency operations center. The $9M state of the art center is near Fitch Park and is shared with the Mesa Police Department. When it opens on March 29 the new center at Baseline Road and Vineyard will have 13 work consoles instead of the eight now in use, an exercise room, a lounge and a quiet room.
12. LGE Design Build has completed construction on Gateway Plaza, a new 6,530SF retail center in Mesa, home to SportsClips, Black Rock Coffee and more.
13. A few hundred West Valley politicians and leaders celebrated the grand opening of El Mirage’s new $7.6 million City Hall on Jan. 19. El Mirage moved from a strip mall location into the new facility at El Mirage and Mountain view roads.
14. A 13.8-megawatt solar generation project was recently completed in Fort Mohave. It joins a 5-megawatt system nearby. Mohave Sunrise Solar I and II will provide power to 4,000 homes.